Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
My ducks shorted out the dog waterer bowl because they insisted on swimming in it and got the base all wet. Now they get water in a rubber pan in the morning and that is all. The chickens did great all winter with my home made waterer from this thread! Even in the coldest parts of winter it stayed thawed! TErri O

We used a kiddie pool for our ducks years ago, just emptied it every week. They loved it! In the winter we used a black, heavy construction mixing pan for concrete. Filled it every day, worked great...

The only "wiring" exposed to the chickens is the cord. Mine have never bothered it, but like nancy mentioned you can run it threw a pipe or piece of conduit.

I just went up in my attic, used a christmas cookie tin, and an old kids lamp for the inside...the thing that took me the longest was finding the electrical tape in my husbands messy garage..lol...I will plug it into the thermocube the lamp will also be hooked up too, now if the weather goes below 35 degrees everything will turn on then off again at 45 degrees!

ok we built one last year but never got the wiring down to the coop. I have the double walled waterers one is a 2 gal one is a 3 gal do you have to you the plastic waterers or will this work with the metal ones also. we plugged it in and put the water on top but the can never seemed to get warm enough so that it would have keep the water from freezing . anyone out there who has used these successfully?

this rocks!!!!

I made one and put a 25 watt bulb in it. this morning it was 17 degrees outside and 22 degrees in the coop. The water was cold but not frozen. I thought for sure I would need to go up to a higher bulb. I have recessed lighting in the coop and I installed that last year to put a small reptile bulb above the waters but it only added a couple degrees and warmthe na dit not keep the water from freezing.

thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread - it really makes such a difference.
I have a small one gallon waterer on this. and its working great. I do however find I need to fill the waterer a little more often. Guess its evaporating
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom