Cooling Pet Bed - anyone try it?

I assume that is put in the fridge then stays cool for some hours?

It would probably help, but I sure wouldn't want to clean it before putting in my fridge for re-cooling everyday. Plus depending on how many birds you have you may need more than one pad.

There are lots of ways to keep your birds cool in hot weather.

Deep shade is best...moistening the ground a bit in the deep shade can help more.
If you are in an arid climate, misters can be of great benefit.
Cool water to drink always available.
Some ice cubes in shallow pans in the afternoon are greatly enjoyed by my birds.
I also use a fan to blow cool air in from the well shaded east side of coop in late afternoon.

Have a electrolytes on hand in case of heat stroke.

Thanks for the reply, I think these don't necessarily have to be refrigerated as it's the chemical reaction in the gel itself that makes it cool, but can if you want them to cool down faster before you put it outside.(I know it'd probably only last a couple hours if that if used outside)

We have trees for shade but my largest hen is constantly panting in the afternoon, and it's not even the dead heat of summer yet. My hens also free range and run away from any misting or fanning I try on them. They don't like watermelon, but I do put out ice cubes in the afternoon, which melts within 15 minutes or so and I worry what would happen if I'm not there in the afternoon to do so. Just trying to think of other ideas to keep them cool

Back
Top Bottom