coop bedding- what do you prefer??

I read that there are thoughts that the ink on newspaper may not be good for chickens. I've also read that the newspaper can get very slick and cause leg problems (more with young chicks thsn adults)
I also read that cedar isn't good and my local feed stire won't even sell cedar to bird owners.

So as a new hen mom, I am wondering what everyone uses for the floor of their coops?
I have a small coop with only 2 nesting boxes and have been using pine shavings for the past few months.
Is straw better, or should I leave the floor bare (dirt)? I feel like a lot of food gets wasted in the shavings and there are a LOT of flies swarming.
Btw, my girls spend a great deal of time in the coop because I have a neighbor whose dog likes to kill my chickens, so all of their treats get thrown in there as well. I like that they have to root around for their food, but worry about the wasted food and flies bringing diseases.
They don't have an enclosed outside run? I personally use shavings in spring/summer and when it's colder I use hay. But everyone does it differently! They love to pick the treats out from the hay n shavings!

They don't have an enclosed outside run? I personally use shavings in spring/summer and when it's colder I use hay. But everyone does it differently! They love to pick the treats out from the hay n shavings!

Tried to post pics, but they have their raised coop with nesting boxes on each side and an enclosed run. I feed them in the run since the coop is raised and has a wire floor and they don't have access to underneath to clean up what they would drop.
Mine love to root around in the shavings, too, but when i clean out yhe run, there always seems to wasted food. Im sure this is normal, but the flies are driving us all crazy and now I'm starting to find roaches, so looking for other ideas.

I use hay because it is the least expensive for my 2 ducks to use as bedding. It attracts a lot of flies as many have said. Sand and pine shavings are too expensive for me so I wish I could find some other alternative.

You might have to clean more often seeing how they don't free range...and keep that moisture out of coop. Just have to keep researching different methods and see what's best for you n the girls!!

Last edited:
I got pine shavings then read something that worried me...then got straw and did the same thing....did some sand and news paper and I have a mix of all the above now...they will either be spoiled from the "special mix" or die from all the mixed product Ive added. I only wanted a couple eggs. ;)

We dug the gravel out of the bottom of the coop but can't agree on what to do. This is a photo of the layout - it was all wet (not soggy) but I was thinking that if the area was dry in the morning I would just try the pine shavings and see if there is a moisture problem. If that doesn't work then hubby wants to put a wood floor suspended an inch or so above the ground and use the shavings on that.
P.S. My runs are also pea graveled, but they have a roof over the top to keep them from getting rained on.

Pine shaving have worked for me so far. I have sand in the run, but I have to put a couple (well about 6) bags down every week to keep it fresh. They dig in it and the dirt underneath just mixes with it. So this week is my last week to use sand in the run. Dirt it is!

hemp has natural antibacterial and anti fungal properties. Imagine the the revenue from industrial hemp in the pet/livestock industries! And it's a renewable resource. Textiles. That's how America became great on agriculture.

Anyway, as is...it's probably too expensive because all hemp textiles have to be imported...talk about stealing American jobs...

I'm not one of those "they're takin our jerbs" guys or anything, I'm just pointing out the irony of the arguments.

But if I lived somewhere that it was a more accessible option, I'd at least have to try it.
The good news for me in Kentucky is that a law has just been past to make it legal to grow hemp in Ky again, so maybe it will be available at a reasonable price soon. Here's hoping!

Back
Top Bottom