coop bedding- what do you prefer??

DE stands for Diatomaceous Earth.  See Wikipedia for details here:

I have read that many veterinarians say (DE) is harmful to respiratory systems… yours, mine and your chickens.  I have even read that some studies show it is Carcinogenic.  Many people believe that is acts as a de-wormer due to the microscopically (sharp edges).  However, I have also read that (DE) is not effective in that way when moisture levels reach over 80% (like in a chickens stomach). 

But, many people still use (DE) and claim to see benefits.  So I would recommend that you spend some time with your friend Google, and see what you think.

(My girls have no problem with using regular dirt for their dust baths and they seem just fine)  

~Nick

I agree. I did my research as well. I didn't find any benefit to it myself. I use agricultural spray lime from time to time. It helps dry things out. Can also be mixed with water to create whitewash. I have a wood ash bin my birds use regularly to bathe in. When ranging, they find dry dirt to squirm around in. ;)

I tried the sand in the hen house and in the run and it was not a good idea. When driving rain came in through the windows and wet the sand it caused a terrible odor. We dragged out all we could and I added Sweet PDZ upstairs and in the run. Great stuff that Sweet PDZ. It works like a charm. No more wet turning sour and no more flies. I feel much better now and I am sure the flock does too.

I tried the sand in the hen house and in the run and it was not a good idea.  When driving rain came in through the windows and wet the sand it caused a terrible odor.  We dragged out all we could and I added Sweet PDZ upstairs and in the run.  Great stuff that Sweet PDZ.  It works like a charm.  No more wet turning sour and no more flies.  I feel much better now and I am sure the flock does too.  
I really think different things work for different situations. I love my system of pine chips and mulch outside. Works for me and for my girls! That's all that matters :)

In my coop I put crushed corn cob litter.

The girls seem to like it and scratch around and makes poo clean up easier.

In the covered part of the run I just put whatever I have available at the time. Right now I rake leaves and toss them in there. Summer time I pull weeds and put all the lawn clippings in.

I have Seramas in the mud room (from chicks to adults).

Chickens outside or in the big breezy barn doesn't give much problem with odors as long as I keep the shavings changed out frequently.

But inside the house, you notice it! So I'm going to try out the Sweet PDZ. I assume I put a layer under the shavings? It is safe if they eat it, isn't it?

I have Seramas in the mud room (from chicks to adults).

Chickens outside or in the big breezy barn doesn't give much problem with odors as long as I keep the shavings changed out frequently.

But inside the house, you notice it! So I'm going to try out the Sweet PDZ. I assume I put a layer under the shavings? It is safe if they eat it, isn't it?
I'm not sure on that. I'd do research on that. Sorry I'm late. My computer was down.
lau.gif
I have a big bunch of brush ready to burn when it stops raining. I want the whole years supply of wood ash available. Then I will mix with course sand and put in their 2 x 2 bathing spot.

I use straw as bedding but I'm going to change my bedding to pine shavings because straw isn't absorbent and is really dusty so I highly recommend using pine shavings.

I go for cheap, but still useful. I use the free mulch our local town has. The free mulch smells great - full of sticks, leaves, pine needles, wood shavings, etc. The birds love it. They dig and scratch in it and then borrow in it and create their beds to cool themselves in the summer. Then they dig during the winter and find whatever bugs and who knows what when they get bored. My floor is dirt underneath the mulch so it composts and then in spring I move it to the nearby garden. We don't have nice soil here anyways, so the compost is great for my large garden. During winter I also use straw on top of the mulch because the mulch tends to freeze sometimes in our temps here. And, I have ducks with my chickens so their water mess adds a lot to the bedding freeze problem. The straw provides warmth and they love being able to scratch and play in it. I also use straw in their nesting boxes all year around. I can get a bale of straw for around $4-5 from lowes and I usually only need a couple to supplement during the times when temps are really cold and the mulch freezes. Maybe it's just the way my coop is set up - it's built into our barn and has a lot of wire around the top half - but it hardly ever smells nasty in there. And that's even with the 4 ducks too!

Back
Top Bottom