Coop Brooding vs Indoor

Newbie question, I am going to get 6 day olds the week of July 18. My current teens reside in the barn. Good ventilation, but not drafty. There is PLENTY of room to brood these babies out there. How worried will I have to be abt heat? I am in MI and July and Aug are usually very warm.

Newbie question, I am going to get 6 day olds the week of July 18. My current teens reside in the barn. Good ventilation, but not drafty. There is PLENTY of room to brood these babies out there. How worried will I have to be abt heat? I am in MI and July and Aug are usually very warm.

Not sure which heat you're "worried" about. Are you talking about ambient temps being too high or providing heat in a brooder. Also, are you getting six one-day old chicks or six-day old chicks? Heat needs decrease considerably after the first week.

6 one day olds, I will be mostly worried abt their heat need. I can make adjustments to keep everyone cooler if that need arises, but it's a guessing game abt overnight temps in MI summers.

Also, it occurs to me that I have not seen a heating pad without an auto shut off. Are there suggestions abt a brand or style that doesn't?

Last edited:
6 one day olds, I will be mostly worried abt their heat need. I can make adjustments to keep everyone cooler if that need arises, but it's a guessing game abt overnight temps in MI summers.

Also, it occurs to me that I have not seen a heating pad without an auto shut off. Are there suggestions abt a brand or style that doesn't?
http://www.amazon.com/Sunbeam-2013-...kmr1&keywords=Sunbeam+x-tra+large+heating+pad
This one is often available at Walmart or Walgreens, in two different sizes. The small one would work fine for six 1 day old chicks, because this time of year they aren't going to use it for long - maybe even just set on 2 or 3 at night. I have both sizes and like the flexibility of being able to choose which one will fit my needs at the time.

http://www.sunbeam.com/pain-relief/...ology-blue/000771-810-000.html#sz=12&start=18
This one will turn itself back on to it's last setting in the event of a power outage.

Last edited:
Thanks
1f60a.png
I appreciate the links! You guys are pretty awesome with all your help!

how big should my brooder cave be for 9 chicks?
I used one about the size of a shoe box for 17, but didn't use it long since they mostly just layed on top of it and it took up so much space in the baby coop. Our weather was warm enough, apparently. What do you ladies recommend? @Blooie @azygous

Back
Top Bottom