Brooding in Coop Questions

x2. Might need to cut the screening out if you can get under there, otherwise it needs to be cleared every few months (I use leaf blowers for that) as it will start getting clogged with dust.

Good suggestion on the leaf blower. I will see if I can get it out. I know I can't take the ridge off because of placement. I think i know how to get 1/4 inch wire in, if I can get the screening out. And I have found a way to get another foot of ventilation. So off to Home Depot in the morning for a couple of things for one last modification!

Good suggestion on the leaf blower. I will see if I can get it out. I know I can't take the ridge off because of placement. I think i know how to get 1/4 inch wire in, if I can get the screening out. And I have found a way to get another foot of ventilation. So off to Home Depot in the morning for a couple of things for one last modification!
Coop builds can seem like a gauntlet sometimes! But it is always good to get it to as close to 100% as possible.

Is this your first time keeping chickens?

Coop builds can seem like a gauntlet sometimes! But it is always good to get it to as close to 100% as possible.

Is this your first time keeping chickens?
Yes. I just want it to be as safe and practical as I can make it!
Famous last words :gig
You know, I thought that when I typed those words. lol

Progress. I was able to get the screening out of the front half of the ridge vent, and replace with 1/4 inch mesh wire. The back half, I could not get the screening out, but was able to reinforce with mesh wire, so at least secure. I'll take half of the ridge being better vented over not at all. I was also able to use mesh wire rolled up to fill the gaps in the raised parts of the roofing material on the bottom part of the roof. It will allow more ventilation than steel wool. I put 1/4 inch mesh wire over the windows, so they will be more secure against snakes and rats. The next modification will be to build a new door from the coop out into the run, that is just a frame, with 1/4 inch wire over it, so the coop has another square foot of ventilation.

Thanks to all for the information and suggestions. I feel like the coop is much more secure now. I am hoping I can get the babies out there in another week.

Progress. I was able to get the screening out of the front half of the ridge vent, and replace with 1/4 inch mesh wire. The back half, I could not get the screening out, but was able to reinforce with mesh wire, so at least secure. I'll take half of the ridge being better vented over not at all. I was also able to use mesh wire rolled up to fill the gaps in the raised parts of the roofing material on the bottom part of the roof. It will allow more ventilation than steel wool. I put 1/4 inch mesh wire over the windows, so they will be more secure against snakes and rats. The next modification will be to build a new door from the coop out into the run, that is just a frame, with 1/4 inch wire over it, so the coop has another square foot of ventilation.

Thanks to all for the information and suggestions. I feel like the coop is much more secure now. I am hoping I can get the babies out there in another week.
Sounds good. Always a great feeling when you have done something to the best of your abilities. :woot

Sounds good. Always a great feeling when you have done something to the best of your abilities. :woot
Absolutely. Or correcting a mistake. Even if partially.

Now to get the new ventilated run door made, a fan in the coop since it is so hot here, and I think it may good for little ones.

Speaking of heat, and ways to cool off, at what age can they start having the now and then frozen treat, like a piece of frozen watermelon, to cool down?

I'd say now in very small amounts. It may take them a couple weeks to get interested in that kind of stuff, so you want to just offer little bits to try. Watch close if they actually take down a lot because watermelon can sometimes cause diarrhea, but I have never seen chicks do more than peck at it to try it.

I'd say now in very small amounts. It may take them a couple weeks to get interested in that kind of stuff, so you want to just offer little bits to try. Watch close if they actually take down a lot because watermelon can sometimes cause diarrhea, but I have never seen chicks do more than peck at it to try it.
Thanks. I bought myself a watermelon, and I thought I'd put a couple of pieces in the freezer for them for a hot day. So far, the only "treat" I have offered them is their regular food, hand feeding them in addition to their feeder, to try to get them used to me.

Back
Top Bottom