Brooding in Coop Questions

Have you gotten a temperature reading inside the coop at the hottest time of day? I don't see much ventilation at all, other than the tiny slide window and a closed front window. With high temps, you're risking overheating.

You'd be better off letting them have free run of the entire area.
The large window opens. The 1/2 inch screened area is fairly large, and the turquoise frame part opens and closes. It gves a bit of cross ventilation.. There is a bit of ventilation in the top. I put window screening over it and glued it down with liquid nails since it was a gap of about an inch and a half, running the entire ridge length. I was hoping to make it a bit more secure while allowing the ventilation out the top.

I'll get a temperature reading tomorrow.

Last edited:
That coop looks amazing. Nice work.

I think that gap is the only thing left to address. The scouring pads could probably be pulled out, but would a snake or weasel do that? Not sure, but ideally you could just fasten something on the other side? Just so you sleep better at night.

You should totally do a coop page, that thing is worth showing off.
Thank you. I was thinking of using silicone caulk to affix them into place. We don't have weasels here. I have been on the fence on gluing ng them, but you are right. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Here are two great articles that talk about ventilation and care for chickens in hot places. Feel free to message the author if you have any questions, they are a great person to talk to.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/repecka-illustrates-coop-ventilation.77659/

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/
Thanks! Being in a hot climate, that has been one of my big concerns. I put the coop under the roofline, to help with that. Not having the sun directly on the coop roof should help keep it from heating as much as in direct sun.

The large window opens. The 1/2 inch screened area is fairly large, and the turquoisefeame part opens and closes. It gves a bit of cross ventilation.. There is a bit of ventilation in the top. I out window screening over it and glued it down with liquid nails.

I'll get a temperature reading tomorrow.
Temperature reading will help a lot in determining if it's safe to keep the chicks in coop only. Chickens can start showing signs of mild heat stress as low as 85F. At 2 weeks old, the heat shouldn't be an issue in the shade of the run (and you obviously won't need a heat source in the day, and unlikely need it at night), but you mainly want to make sure the coop isn't significantly hotter.

As for ventilation, in moderate climates you want to aim for 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird 24/7. In hotter climes more like 2-3 sq ft. Part of it is to let heat out, but also ammonia and excess moisture.

Temperature reading will help a lot in determining if it's safe to keep the chicks in coop only. Chickens can start showing signs of mild heat stress as low as 85F. At 2 weeks old, the heat shouldn't be an issue in the shade of the run (and you obviously won't need a heat source in the day, and unlikely need it at night), but you mainly want to make sure the coop isn't significantly hotter.

As for ventilation, in moderate climates you want to aim for 1 sq ft of ventilation per bird 24/7. In hotter climes more like 2-3 sq ft. Part of it is to let heat out, but also ammonia and excess moisture.
The ridges in the roof are ~1x1.5 inches. (I need to measure to know exactly. So that has 3 lines of the roof to pull from that are lower, with the ventilation at the top. The obvious advantage is ventilation. The obvious disadvantage is mice or snakes getting in. Not sure of that is big enough for rats. Hopefully the pics show what I mean.

Not sure how I can secure without blocking ventation. Any suggestions there?

Attachments

• 20230703_145532.jpg
    20230703_145532.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230703_145507.jpg
    20230703_145507.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 5
The ridges in the roof are ~1x1.5 inches. (I need to measure to know exactly. So that has 3 lines of the roof to pull from that are lower, with the ventilation at the top. The obvious advantage is ventilation. The obvious disadvantage is mice or snakes getting in. Not sure of that is big enough for rats. Hopefully the pics show what I mean.

Not sure how I can secure without blocking ventation. Any suggestions there?
Yes that is big enough for rats. Smaller rats can fit through 1/2" wide gaps.

I would say it's not providing enough ventilation to offset worry about rodents getting in... you need 96 of these openings to equal 1 sq ft of ventilation, for example. You mentioned you currently have steel wool in there? That should help with rodents, though not sure if snakes would be deterred by it.

If you purchased this roofing from a hardware store, the same manufacturer should have roof closure strips, such as this for example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-...ic-Roof-Closure-Strips-6-Pack-92770/100067957

I did just notice you have a ridge vent. Is that already properly secured underneath with hardware cloth?

Yes that is big enough for rats. Smaller rats can fit through 1/2" wide gaps.

I would say it's not providing enough ventilation to offset worry about rodents getting in... you need 96 of these openings to equal 1 sq ft of ventilation, for example. You mentioned you currently have steel wool in there? That should help with rodents, though not sure if snakes would be deterred by it.

If you purchased this roofing from a hardware store, the same manufacturer should have roof closure strips, such as this for example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Suntuf-...ic-Roof-Closure-Strips-6-Pack-92770/100067957

I did just notice you have a ridge vent. Is that already properly secured underneath with hardware cloth?
Not secured with hardware cloth, but with window screening material.

The coop was a tsc kit that i made modifications to so it would meet my needs better.. I don't have steel wool in those roof gaps yet, because I didn't want to restrict that air flow. I am going to work on securing them somehow.

I may also put 1/4 inch wire over the windows, because rats and snakes are my two big worries.

Back
Top Bottom