Coop design and build

mclanea

Songster
May 19, 2016
San Diego
Hi there. We're going to begin construction of our coop this weekend. After doing quite a bit of reading here at BYC, looking at other local designs, very "exciting reading" about our zoning laws, and our overall backyard design, this is where we're at.

Would love feedback!

Pre-amble:
- 5 chicks, this is pretty much the max for our zoning. So "chicken math" is kinda maxed out.
- 68.9 square feet for the run, 15 square feet for the coop itself
- We have 2 dogs and a cat that'll share our backyard with the chickens. We're not intending they'll do regular free range in the yard.
- We have security cameras so I'm pretty aware of what we're looking at predator-wise. Possums, rats, feral/semi-feral cats... pretty much the norm. There are coyote in our neighborhood so the chickens might attract them. But we're also pretty isolated from where they normally hang out with a lot of easy meals between here and there.
- Yes, I'll be using 1/2"x1/2" hardware cloth on the run & coop openings/gaps. Also planning to go 6-8" under the run to discourage digging critters.

Here's where this is going... finishing off this tree tonight, leaving some of the stump for them to play with.

Here's what we're thinking. (Really want to tie directly into that wall, it's been there 50 years and is definitely predator-proof already.)

Side view (already thinking of this door style instead for the clean out doors)

Above-view

Cross-section

Would you keep this stump in the middle of the run or would you get rid of it?

My set up is probably smaller than what you are planning. I put wood shavings in the run and the coop...no smell.

Honestly, with the drought conditions of Southern California right now...I don't think you will have much of an odor issue.

Be ware of coyotes. Our neighbor's grand daughter lives outside San Diego, lost her whole flock in one night to coyotes....37 birds....slaughtered. Just something to keep in mind.

Thank you. We'll be monitoring the smell for sure as we live in the city and want to be good neighbors.

A neighbor keeps ducks, chickens, and turkey. Got a solid run down on what to expect predator-wise. Skunk, possum, and the occasional coyote. Seems like with upkeep we'll be able to keep those at bay. (Plus, we have dogs and an outdoor cat which keep some stuff away already.)

Didn't get as far today as I was hoping. But I did get all the materials and the three posts set up so I can really make progress tomorrow.

Everything fit in the swagger wagon. Go Sienna!

Got the first three posts lined up and concreted in. This is the base for the front of the build.

Back
Top Bottom