Coop design and build

Oh, it's all good. I'm not offended! No apology needed, the actual coop came out much different than the original plan. You had a question that we spent several hours processing.

Yes, you're correct about coop/run location. We're trying to limit to impact on our neighbors. We're totally allowed to have chickens and we're building it according to the city requirements for square footage and all that. I just wanted to keep the roof line low so that as much sound as possible would bounce back towards our house and not towards the neighbors. My office is in the backyard, I hear a neighbors chickens/turkey all the time... it doesn't bother me... but we just want to try to minimize the noise for others out of consideration.

The wall is actually ours. If you got up on the wall you'd see the silliness of every house having their own wall/fence with a foot or so separation along the property lines. Good times!

Day 4 - had a lot of work today, so not very much time spent on this at all. But I did make some progress before hitting the point where I can't continue until I get stuff painted.

Over all progress

Got siding mounted and had a lot of fun creating the little door on a pulley system so it can get opened/closed from outside.

A closer look to the run. Also got a couple more roof sections mounted.

Also sealed up a spot against the far wall.

Hoping to get the frame painted so I can put in the hardware cloth, then move on to finish the rest.

Meanwhile, these guys are enjoying daily supervised play in the grass.

I like the sliding door idea. Post some images of the mechanism, I'd like to see it.
You can see it in the first pic...simple and effective, nice!

@mclanea unless you plan to add a lock to pop door or your run is totally raccoon proof...I'd remove the knob on the outside.

I like the sliding door idea. Post some images of the mechanism, I'd like to see it.

Here is the other side of the pop door. It's pretty basic. I am not confident the plywood door will last, so I made it easily replaceable. (We are going to paint it, which will help. But I'm confident it'll warp. I'd like to replace it with something plastic.)

@aart - great point. The run should be raccoon proof, I'm mostly worried about being dog proof as our dogs are very curious about the chicks and will have access to the yard.

We have a neighbor a few houses down with ducks, chickens, and a turkey. She said coyote, opossum, and skunks are the problem. We have lived in this neighborhood since 09 and have not heard of anyone with raccoon problems... Though I have no doubt that putting them out there is going to call in every sort of predator. Even when I just have the garage door open all the neighbor cats come check out the brooder box.

Question for those following about ventilation.

Bearing in mind that the corrugated roofing material isn't sealed, so there is some ventilation through the roof, are two passive cents going to be enough?

These are 4x16.

Pop door is protected from the weather...and it's mostly dry there anyway, so it may not warp...make the groove a bit loose to accommodate any warpage.

Those vents might be enough...depends on if you have good deep shade and how much of a breeze.
If it gets really hot there, you might want more windows/vents, make them closeable.

Here is the other side of the pop door. It's pretty basic. I am not confident the plywood door will last, so I made it easily replaceable. (We are going to paint it, which will help. But I'm confident it'll warp. I'd like to replace it with something plastic.)

what thickness of plywood did you use?

1/2" you may have some warping
3/4" probably not.

if you see some warping, an easy fix, without replacing the door, is to put a cross, made from 1x2's, that fit inside of the frame of your grooves. I'd use cedar or another light wood, and use screws to attach to the pop door.

did you place a pulley on the outside wall of the coop for the string assembly?

my thoughts on your venting, is to add them and put a flap over them, in case you have some extra cool weather in the winter.

does San Diego ever get below 70? lol

it looks great so far.

That is a slick design on the pop out door.

Do you feel that you need a stop? If you pull the door fully open, is there a risk of it coming off the runners?

Your coop project is looking great.

Back
Top Bottom