Coop finally done...Thoughts!!! Pic Heavy

dizzle's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 16, 2011
It took me a while but the coop is finally done and ready to go outside. Coop size is 4x7. What do you guys think? I only have one vent. Is that enough? I have a total of 7 birds.

96345_pic_1.jpg

96345_pic_2.jpg

96345_pic_3.jpg

Nesting Box
96345_pic_4.jpg

Back view with the vent
96345_pic_5.jpg

Front door for entry
96345_pic_6.jpg

Close-up view of the vent. It's 10x10.
96345_pic_8.jpg

Nesting box. Total of 3. They are around 13 inches apart
96345_pic_9.jpg

Roosting bars. 2 feet off the base floor.
96345_pic_10.jpg

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Oh it's cute! You'll definitely want more venting though. You can't have too much venting and you really need more than you'd expect. I'd add a second vent directly across from the first one and I'd strongly recommend cutting a window into the side across from the nest box and across from the pop door. Or maybe one above the nest boxes. My coop is only slightly smaller (4x5') and we have vents on the north and south gables as well as large windows an 3 of the 4 walls. It stays reasonable in the summer, about the same temp as the air outside the coop, and the girls did just fine in it this winter. You will probably also find that you need a bigger lip across the front of the nest boxes. Mine was only about as tall as yours and they kept kicking the nesting material out. I nailed some 1x6" boards across the front and they have been perfect ever since.

I love your coop! The colors are great. My only suggestion might be to add a window for some light as well as more ventillation.

Back
Top Bottom