Coop for 9 Chickens with room to expand

SplashyDashyChicksHatchi

In the Brooder
Apr 12, 2018
So, we currently have 9 chickens, 2 large ones and 7 younger ones(including 1 suspected roo). My family wants to have a permanent dwelling for the chickens with a rotatable dog run. We already have a plan for the coop, most of the materials, the money to build it, and the incentive. The only problem is the issue of time. My family is very busy - kids go to school in the mornings(parents have to drop them off of course), parents doing chores and errands about the house, then picking the kids up from school at the end of the day. Not to mention preparing the meals and taking care of the 2 dogs and any sick kids. It's not just that we don't have open time to build it, it's also that we are running out of time - the 7 youngest chicks outgrowing their crowded(and may I just say, over $300 terribly made) coop in no time at all, and the older chickens just simply not having enough space. Like I said, the only thing we don't have is time. Does anyone have any suggestions or people in the Eustis/Paisley/Mt. Dora Florida area, that can build a coop for a reasonable price, but doesn't take over 5 weeks to build it(the guy my parents found wanted $4000 and take 5 weeks to build)? Any cost-saving tips, material suppliers(for free or cheap in the area), or any other DIY advice or whatnot to give would be much needed and obliged.
Happy travels! :frow

I agree with alley, you can buy a resin shed with windows and use that for the chickens. Add roosts and nesting boxes, and of course, a chicken door to the run area and you are set. Maybe you can find a used shed on Craigslist? Rent a trailer and bring it home! Good luck! ;)

In Florida? Start with a hoop coop. You can put it up in a weekend (plus extra fudge time). Then, you can use it for a closed in run while you build a more permanent structure. Or, get some pallets, and some hardware cloth, and some T posts. Put up a red neck shed, open on the front. Cover it with hdw. cloth and shade cloth, add a run. This will also buy you some time to build your dream coop.

So, we currently have 9 chickens, 2 large ones and 7 younger ones(including 1 suspected roo). My family wants to have a permanent dwelling for the chickens with a rotatable dog run. We already have a plan for the coop, most of the materials, the money to build it, and the incentive. The only problem is the issue of time. My family is very busy - kids go to school in the mornings(parents have to drop them off of course), parents doing chores and errands about the house, then picking the kids up from school at the end of the day. Not to mention preparing the meals and taking care of the 2 dogs and any sick kids. It's not just that we don't have open time to build it, it's also that we are running out of time - the 7 youngest chicks outgrowing their crowded(and may I just say, over $300 terribly made) coop in no time at all, and the older chickens just simply not having enough space. Like I said, the only thing we don't have is time. Does anyone have any suggestions or people in the Eustis/Paisley/Mt. Dora Florida area, that can build a coop for a reasonable price, but doesn't take over 5 weeks to build it(the guy my parents found wanted $4000 and take 5 weeks to build)? Any cost-saving tips, material suppliers(for free or cheap in the area), or any other DIY advice or whatnot to give would be much needed and obliged.
Happy travels! :frow[/QUOTE

That is a very high priced chicken coop. Check out those shed places. I have seen them along the roads. If you buy a shed, it would require the smallest updating to build nests and roosting places and more open areas for air to get in. A friend built a coop for me in a week and the cost was less than $1000.00 for the materials. Look around before you decide.

Happy travels! :frow
Tarp your run.

https://www.shadenthings.com/blog/latest-news/74/

I'd use less tarps then this person, since your in FLA. Give them three sides of shelter and a roof according to your weather patterns (avoid rain blowing in on them.)

Thanks for all the great ideas! We did actually want to use a shed, then every few weeks move a large dog run to each side for field rotation. I'll have to see what materials we have right now and figure out the details for the hoop coop but that sounds pretty easy to make! I'll have to check the area again to see who is available to build a coop but I think our time frame would be before the beginning of school next August. Maybe we can find something before then? Thanks again!

A couple other thoughts...look on Facebook or craigslist for someone that advertises building decks.

OR, find a shed builder on Craigslist/Facebook...

Back
Top Bottom