Coop idea??

I don’t know if we’re being trolled or not but...I think that’s already a coop or was at one time looking at the door on the bottom or the human door. It’s chicken sized and there’s already straw in it...50-50 it has a roost bar in it already...

I wouldn’t do anything but cut a big window in the door and cover it with hardware cloth for ventilation...and count your blessings that you’re getting away with $10 in hardware costs for having a coop.

The building was not a coop to my knowledge. The building is 5x7. There's no roost bars in there it's just an empty shed I keep my push mower and rototiller in. Ventilation was my concern hence the reason I posted pictures and am asking. I'm in northeastern pa and wasn't sure how it would do in the winter cold and summer heat.

You probably want some windows for sunshine, ventilation, and looks. Make sure the roof is stable and won’t leak and check the surroundings for any holes or places where a hole could be easily dug since you don’t want predators

The building was not a coop to my knowledge. The building is 5x7. There's no roost bars in there it's just an empty shed I keep my push mower and rototiller in. Ventilation was my concern hence the reason I posted pictures and am asking. I'm in northeastern pa and wasn't sure how it would do in the winter cold and summer heat.
The bottom corner of the door has a piece drilled into it...does it look like it could have been an animal door (think a cat flap size) in the past?

it's just an empty shed I keep my push mower and rototiller in. Ventilation was my concern hence the reason I posted pictures and am asking. I'm in northeastern pa and wasn't sure how it would do in the winter cold and summer heat.
How hot is it in there in the middle of summer when you go get your mower?

Looks like it'll make a great coop. Follow aart's advice on the roof for ventilation. I would probably either replace the door with one that had a window on the upper part or convert the one that is there. I'd also make my pop door in the bottom of that door. The one thing I would not do is start knocking bricks out of that thing. You've got the start of a great coop.

Ridge vent is easy to install. You won't need much though, maybe a roofer in your area might have a left over piece laying around. Maybe glass block windows with a vent. They would mortar right in. They can be purchased by the block or preassembled. Some have vents in there. You should be able to use a grinder with a diamond disc to cut your brick. They are pretty cheap and will cut like butter. Its not very difficult. :)

Back
Top Bottom