Coop in progress

Kikilu

Songster
Dec 11, 2022
Nova Scotia
My Coop
My Coop
Hello all!

First time poster except for my introduction. Just thought it would be nice to show my coop progress with some like minded folks :)

For reference my building experience is limited to none! This project will be far from perfect but I’m giving it an honest try!

I purchased a used wooden outdoor playset a while back. It’s 6x6 and the platform was quite high. I lowered the platform which allows for enough clearance for me to walk in while still making available space underneath to add to the run area. *edit* I lowered the platform to 4ft exactly so I can use the maximum amount of the plywood I will need to purchase in order to save material and minimize cuts. Hope that works out!

I began the framing for the run today. I have been using free lumber to ‘make do’. Ran into problems with warped 2x4’s while trying to use hurricane clips so will have to purchase some new 2x4’s. Of course I also wish I had levelled the ground better and had poured some crushed gravel before doing anything.

The entire run including the roof, floor and underneath the coop will be done in 1/4” hardware cloth. Heavy predator area and we have seen a few weasel/ermines in the yard.

Between where the run meets the coop near the roof line will be ventilated as will the peak of the roof.

Building in January has actually been pretty good for Nova Scotia! -8 Celsius today was the coldest yet which has been strange. Enjoying the build so far and already have future plans to expand the existing coop.

The information on this site has been very helpful already and I hope others may find some inspiration in my project if they are like me with no experience in building.

Attachments

• EBF225AB-52DC-4BDD-B84D-50B50E82B2C3.jpeg
    EBF225AB-52DC-4BDD-B84D-50B50E82B2C3.jpeg
    333.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 084D87CD-B814-47E7-B744-DBB709A3B457.jpeg
    084D87CD-B814-47E7-B744-DBB709A3B457.jpeg
    910.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment :). I had the same concerns so I'm with ya. My homework concluded that they were good up to the plant hardiness zone 5b So depending on your location in Nova Scotia you are close.

If you have any old vertical blinds, around with the steel rectangle weights. You take those throw em in your vice, at the halfway point, and hammer em over to any angle you need. Drill a couple extra holes and the make super sturdy braces for attaching lumber at joints. Keep em flat and they make good plate braces. Strong.

If you have any old vertical blinds, around with the steel rectangle weights. You take those throw em in your vice, at the halfway point, and hammer em over to any angle you need. Drill a couple extra holes and the make super sturdy braces for attaching lumber at joints. Keep em flat and they make good plate braces. Strong.
Good idea - I’m all about finding ways to make what you have work. No perfection here just function!

Hello all!

First time poster except for my introduction. Just thought it would be nice to show my coop progress with some like minded folks :)

For reference my building experience is limited to none! This project will be far from perfect but I’m giving it an honest try!

I purchased a used wooden outdoor playset a while back. It’s 6x6 and the platform was quite high. I lowered the platform which allows for enough clearance for me to walk in while still making available space underneath to add to the run area. *edit* I lowered the platform to 4ft exactly so I can use the maximum amount of the plywood I will need to purchase in order to save material and minimize cuts. Hope that works out!

I began the framing for the run today. I have been using free lumber to ‘make do’. Ran into problems with warped 2x4’s while trying to use hurricane clips so will have to purchase some new 2x4’s. Of course I also wish I had levelled the ground better and had poured some crushed gravel before doing anything.

The entire run including the roof, floor and underneath the coop will be done in 1/4” hardware cloth. Heavy predator area and we have seen a few weasel/ermines in the yard.

Between where the run meets the coop near the roof line will be ventilated as will the peak of the roof.

Building in January has actually been pretty good for Nova Scotia! -8 Celsius today was the coldest yet which has been strange. Enjoying the build so far and already have future plans to expand the existing coop.

The information on this site has been very helpful already and I hope others may find some inspiration in my project if they are like me with no experience in building.
Nice job! I love repurposing stuff. You have given me an Idea for another coop. I have one of those playsets that was used while my 6 grandchildren lived with me for 10 years. Looking forward to seeing the completed coop. Now if you could please hand me one of those Dos Equis I think I spy sitting on the deck I would be your best friend.

Nice job! I love repurposing stuff. You have given me an Idea for another coop. I have one of those playsets that was used while my 6 grandchildren lived with me for 10 years. Looking forward to seeing the completed coop. Now if you could please hand me one of those Dos Equis think I spy sitting on the deck I would be your best friend.
Haha! My beverage made the work far more enjoyable. Beer stays nice and cold at -8C too!

I will keep updating my post with progress…..unless I make a total mess of it!

Back
Top Bottom