Coop in progress

The entire run including the roof, floor and underneath the coop will be done in 1/4” hardware cloth. Heavy predator area and we have seen a few weasel/ermines in the yard.

Most people around here recommend the 1/2" hardware cloth instead of 1/4". It's a stronger gauge and sufficiently small.

Be careful with hardware cloth under ground where chickens will dig. They can easily get down 12" and it won't be good for their feet if they get to it. Consider an anti-dig apron around the perimeter or going straight down a foot or so around the perimeter.

That said, I don't have weasel pressure, so feel free to reach out to those with more experience with that predator.

Progress has been slow and nothing happening for the last few weeks. Here is where I am at now.
Going to be getting back at it this weekend since it will be a little warmer.

Attachments

• D0509316-C969-405E-AA24-6EE338054B55.jpeg
    D0509316-C969-405E-AA24-6EE338054B55.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Coop update!
Still quite a bit to do but I am getting there. Painted and put up ‘trim’ 40 year old rough lumber which was a Turkey coop in its past life. Run doors are the old shutters to my parents house. Still needs work but pleased overall!
That is just gonna be cute as all get out!

Thank you! I’ve never really built anything so it’s been a huge project for me. Made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot but happy so far! (Other than I need it to be 5x bigger for the amount of chickens I want) lol
That's the problem we all run into, lol, but now you've got the experience to build another one after you fill this one😊😉

Thank you! I’ve never really built anything so it’s been a huge project for me. Made a lot of mistakes and learned a lot but happy so far! (Other than I need it to be 5x bigger for the amount of chickens I want) lol
Same here. I've made lots of mistakes, learning "on the job". Next coop will be better!

Back
Top Bottom