Coop light for waking up

It's a prefab chicken coop. I'd assume the manufacturer took ventilation into account? I specifically bought a prefab kit so I wouldn't have to worry about things like measuring vents and windows.
What you can assume with a manufactured coop is that they know nothing about proper poultry housing. They are carpenters, not poultry experts.
The capacity they claim their buildings will hold is commensurate with that in egg farm cages. Not what chickens really need.
Why else would they put 4 nest boxes in a coop that can barely hold 4 chickens. They are overpriced, undersized buildings with no where near enough ventilation.
If you haven't measured 1 sq. ft. of opening (around the clock) per bird, it is usually insufficient.

Unfortunately, chicken coop makers are more concerned with what will sell, not what is appropriate for good health of the chickens, or ease of use for the human. Many times the coops are dark and not well ventilated, and advertised to be adequate for twice the number of chickens that is safe.

Well that is disheartening to hear.

My coop is (supposedly) rated for 10-12 large chickens and I have 4. I'm not buying a new coop so I'm just going to hope it works out. I *feel like there is adequate ventilation and space, and I have an attached, covered 300 sq ft run (although they will free range 3 seasons of the year) , so I *feel like I'm giving them a good home.

My coop is (supposedly) rated for 10-12 large chickens and I have 4. I'm not buying a new coop so I'm just going to hope it works out. I *feel like there is adequate ventilation and space,

Additional ventilation can be added if you're willing to take the time to do so, so that by itself is not reason to get rid of a coop. Post photos of what you have along with your climate info and maybe we can suggest ways to add vents.

What you can assume with a manufactured coop is that they know nothing about proper poultry housing. They are carpenters, not poultry experts.

I'd argue that half of them aren't carpenters either :p, given all the stories people have had about things being broken or not fitting right in kits.

It is :( and quite common unfortunately.
But there are solutions.

Post photos of what you have along with your climate info and maybe we can suggest ways to add vents.
Yes, Please, This!!^^^
Here's some guides to help you post pics:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/?prefix_id=3

Oh, and...Welcome to BYC! @Chickiechickieboomboom
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-10-13_7-43-27.png

If you haven't measured 1 sq. ft. of opening (around the clock) per bird, it is usually insufficient.

I just want to be sure I'm understanding the requirements correctly. If someone has a 10x10 coop, that's 100 sq ft, and at 4 sq ft per bird, they can have 25 chickens. But, they also need 25 sq ft of vents for them. So that would basically be a window, plus 1 ft of open space around the entire perimeter of the coop. Do you keep this all open in winter when it's freezing? I'm in MA, it gets quite cold, and windy.

My coop is much smaller than that example, it's 6x4, with a small window (maybe 1 sq ft) that I'd keep closed in winter, and 2 gable vents (maybe 1 as ft of air flow per vent). I have 4 chickens but was thinking of getting more in the spring.

Please post photos of that coop inside and out plus measurements in feet. Or provide a link that shows that. It's easier to talk about something when you have an idea what it looks like. The main things I'll be looking at is whether there is a roof overhang, height of roosts inside the coop, materials used for construction, location of those gable vents, whether it is elevated, and just general configuration. After all this discussion what specific topics do you want addressed? I'd guess lighting, ventilation, and number of chickens? A little bit about your goals or why you want chickens might help. You've already said you will want to integrate more chickens later.

I agree with most of the comments about typical prefab coops but let's see what you are dealing with and what you can do instead of assuming. There is a pretty good chance you will need to make modifications. Lots of people use prefab coops but not always as they are advertised.

I do not believe in all those magic number thrown out for everything to do with chickens, whether that is square feet per chicken in the coop or run, ratio of hens to roosters, length of roost space, or square feet of ventilation per chicken. There are way too many variables in climate, how we manage them, flock make-up, and so many other things that one number doesn't cover every chicken coop on the planet.

I want to emphasize what Aart said, it can help us if you modify your profile to show your general location. That's for a lot of things other than just climate. You mentioned Massachusetts in a post but that's pretty well hidden. If you put it in your profile it is always available.

As for ventilation, your requirements will be different form someone in Perth, Australia or Fairbanks, Alaska. Your requirements will be different in summer versus winter. What are you working with?

I just want to be sure I'm understanding the requirements correctly. If someone has a 10x10 coop, that's 100 sq ft, and at 4 sq ft per bird, they can have 25 chickens. But, they also need 25 sq ft of vents for them. So that would basically be a window, plus 1 ft of open space around the entire perimeter of the coop. Do you keep this all open in winter when it's freezing? I'm in MA, it gets quite cold, and windy.

Just as an example my coop is 6x10. Not including either pop or human doors I have about 32 sq ft of ventilation so it's absolutely possible to get that much into a 10x10 coop. I leave most of them open year round, including during storms and snow (though we don't get that far below freezing). A lot of my vents are up around the roof area so the roof provides protection against wind/rain. Others are louvered or oriented away from prevailing wind direction(s).

My coop is (supposedly) rated for 10-12 large chickens and I have 4. I'm not buying a new coop so I'm just going to hope it works out. I *feel like there is adequate ventilation and space, and I have an attached, covered 300 sq ft run (although they will free range 3 seasons of the year) , so I *feel like I'm giving them a good home.

I started off free ranging starting in the mornings, but had to severely reduce their ranging time when I lost two (and almost a third) to a hawk!
My coop is big enough for my flock of 14, but my run is a little undersized. I do free range late in the day most days. I hope to add to their run this winter.

Back
Top Bottom