Coop made of tin??

ABakes09

Songster
Jul 1, 2021
We are building a new coop and trying to use materials we already have on hand. Hubby wants to build the walls of the coop out of some tin roofing that we have. It’s green on one side and white on the other—so coated or painted. He would frame it out in 2x4s and attach the tin to the frame. We live in central GA so it gets hot in the summers. We typically don’t have snow and only get below freezing at night intermittently. Would this be enough insulation for a coop? We would have window and vents of some sort. If we went this route would the inside need to be lined with anything? If anyone has any information or input I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys.

We are building a new coop and trying to use materials we already have on hand. Hubby wants to build the walls of the coop out of some tin roofing that we have. It’s green on one side and white on the other—so coated or painted. He would frame it out in 2x4s and attach the tin to the frame. We live in central GA so it gets hot in the summers. We typically don’t have snow and only get below freezing at night intermittently. Would this be enough insulation for a coop? We would have window and vents of some sort. If we went this route would the inside need to be lined with anything? If anyone has any information or input I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys.
That is basically what mine is. I live in Arkansas.
20210321_105632.jpg

Thats what I'm planning on doing for my coop. As long as there's enough ventilation, you should be good. I wouldn't' worry about installation if you adopt have extreme temperatures. A nice thick layer of bedding will do that for you. If your still concerned, doing some research on the deep litter/bedding method may be helpful. Its a way of "composting" bedding thats dry, and produces some heat of its own. That can help to keep your coop warm, and makes it much easier then cleaning out the coop every week. On top of that, you get lots of great fertilizer for your garden by the end of winter. :)

Thats what I'm planning on doing for my coop. As long as there's enough ventilation, you should be good. I wouldn't' worry about installation if you adopt have extreme temperatures. A nice thick layer of bedding will do that for you. If your still concerned, doing some research on the deep litter/bedding method may be helpful. Its a way of "composting" bedding thats dry, and produces some heat of its own. That can help to keep your coop warm, and makes it much easier then cleaning out the coop every week. On top of that, you get lots of great fertilizer for your garden by the end of winter. :)
Yes. I know about the deep liter method. I’m honestly not concerned as much about the cold as I am the heat. We have a lot of mud to upper 90s. Will the tin get too hot? The coop is in a shaded area so that will help but it will get some sun.

Yes. I know about the deep liter method. I’m honestly not concerned as much about the cold as I am the heat. We have a lot of mud to upper 90s. Will the tin get too hot? The coop is in a shaded area so that will help but it will get some sun.
Hmm, this is a good question. I've never had to deal with a lot of high heats, maybe @aart will be able to help?

As long as you have a lot of ventilation you should be good. Your weather is similar to mine so summers are hot and humid and winters get lows in the teens and twenties on average.. Use a good wood floor and ventilate, ventilate, ventilate.

As long as you have a lot of ventilation you should be good. Your weather is similar to mine so summers are hot and humid and winters get lows in the teens and twenties on average.. Use a good wood floor and ventilate, ventilate, ventilate.
Any suggestions on the best way to ventilate. I’m planning on 2 hardwire cloth windows that will have a plexiglass flap that can be opened and closed. I have a little fan in my little ore-fab coop currently so may do one in the new one has well. But would love to hear all my options while we are planning. Luckily the hubs can build just about anything.

Back
Top Bottom