Coop out of metal shed

blurose

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
Winston, Oregon
I might be getting a metal shed from my neighbor to use for a chicken coop. I would want to put windows in it. Can anybody help point me to some pictures of other coops similar to this idea?

Just watch how many chickens per the size of the shed, one thing I had problems with using a 12x16 metal shed was serious condensation problems when the weather was wet. Not sure if it would have abated with simply very few chickens. Dripping off the ceiling it made the bedding wet and was very bad for the chickens respiratory-wise. I moved them to a wooden shed instead and used the metal one for storage.

we have an 8x6 metal shed and currently 6 chickens.
We cut a chicken door into the side along with a long window.

Only problem with it being wet was the first night out there it rained and came in through the window. Has since been remedied by a sheet of plexiglass being placed at an angle "over" it. They still get the air circulation, but the rain doesnt get in. It has been very wet/rainy here. We are going to be putting foam board insulation up and covering that with plywood.

P1010001.jpg

there have been some improvements to coop security since these were taken. We now have a real door to the run and a frame around the window etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom