Coop pics****

A few months ago I got the chicken fever and talked my eggceptional husband into building me a chicken church coop. Since you backyard folks were such an inspiration, I wanted to share the finished product with you.

After 2 weeks in the coop, this was the first day they were let out in the run, via the automated door which will be set for dusk to dawn open and close feature.

I wanted an outside egg collection door so I don't have to actually walk inside the coop.

The girls inside their coop are 4 Americaunas and 4 Barred Rocks at the age of 2 months.
droolin.gif

I used 4x4's for the corner posts and 2x4's for the framing. I also cemented the 4x4's in the ground.

I decided to put a 2 ft layer of plywood around the bottom section of the run to give them some added security and protection from the wind. The girls really enjoy that.

The nesting boxes are 14" by 14". The entrance to them is 12" tall and gets a bit taller in the back section. I angled the roof at about 50 degrees.

This is a single car garage bay. We have a tuck under three car garage with an overhanging porch. So the top was solid, we just built around it with chicken wire up top and smaller gauge wire around the bottom 3 ft. Their coop is a converted rabbit hutch, that open door where the nestbox is, has an archway that connects to the other "room" We will be building a "downstairs nestbox for two more chickens and close off access from upstairs to downstairs.. this way we can introduce our new chickens in a see but no touch environment.

They have a big pan of sand/grits/oyster shells and greens from the yard that they love. We let them out at least once a day, supervised...one of us is always out there. We have over an acre of property, with a couple of ponds, ducks, and lots of grass and sand pits! Will upload a few more pics. I love what you guys have done!!! We've been bit by the chicken bug so it's great to see what everyone has done, what is working, etc

This is what the pen started off like (it's not done here, this is the baby ducks' first outing. We used it initially to pen the ducks in at night until they were big enough and understod about night time predators. We lost a few ducks the first couple of nights but they learn quickly that the pond is their friend!

Once they were out of there, we moved the chicken house right inside. The chickens have inside and outside where it's completely safe...nothing can burrow or dig under and get them, and they have the whole yard to play in looking for interesting things to eat and play with.

Its very easy to keep clean that's for sure1

Last edited:
Woweee is that ever beautiful! Those are some lucky girls!!!! Both for the lovely digs and have a chicken mom to spoil them rotten!

Everyones coops are gorgeous! I love them all each has its own style and i love all the different designs. I post pics of my coops all the time lol but Ill put them on here too.

(turkey house)

Last edited:

This is a single car garage bay. We have a tuck under three car garage with an overhanging porch. So the top was solid, we just built around it with chicken wire up top and smaller gauge wire around the bottom 3 ft. Their coop is a converted rabbit hutch, that open door where the nestbox is, has an archway that connects to the other "room" We will be building a "downstairs nestbox for two more chickens and close off access from upstairs to downstairs.. this way we can introduce our new chickens in a see but no touch environment.

They have a big pan of sand/grits/oyster shells and greens from the yard that they love. We let them out at least once a day, supervised...one of us is always out there. We have over an acre of property, with a couple of ponds, ducks, and lots of grass and sand pits! Will upload a few more pics. I love what you guys have done!!! We've been bit by the chicken bug so it's great to see what everyone has done, what is working, etc

I have a tendency to be a little OCD Things I do, I do big. I have a feeling in the near future we're going to be building a really nice chicken coop...hahaha. I love my girls so much. We want some barred rock and silkies and...and...and... I've been raising ducks, so i see raising chickens in the future once i get a a handle on diseases, knowing how to prevent, recognize and treat.

We are going to add a nest box area to the bottom "floor" just like the top floor, close the trap door between them to keep them separate until they get to know each other. I hesitate to add a rooster, even though they are gorgeous because i know they can be a little rough on the girls. I'll keep reading and learning, hopefully someday soon we'll have some cool stuff to post here

Back
Top Bottom