Coop renovations begin....

thoth3g

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
Well, starting with the air flow....did a triangle at the top of the gable (back not shown)..put in a gable fan which I will later connect using a variable speed switch. Just figured I post a couple pics....next will be time to remove the second floor (loft) and make a roost that goes to the top. I'll box it off at the bottom and fill it with that horse sand.
I'll be using a controller which will control moisture and temperature in my incubator/hatcher and my brooder as well as the lights in the coop!

Before:

After:

I'm not sure if you can see the small tags I added but each of the light fixtures will hold a red bulb and a ceramic heating element. I have a fan for circulation, temp sensor and a moisture sensor. In the brooders I have a temp sensor. I have a electronic brain that will control both brooders and the hatcher. I still have to add a fogger for the moisture control. Also the floor and dividing wall for the two brooders. It's been a fun project.

I'll be adding a Plexiglas door perhaps with a few holes drilled into it. You have to allow some air exchange to give oxygen to the eggs right?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wow, looks like you got this all figured out! Looks great! You might want to share this with other building their coops in our Coop and Run Construction as well...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/9/coop-run-design-construction-maintenance

Great job! Enjoy your new coop and we do welcome you to our flock!

Roost area
048043d7ad5246b8999982538f854d6e.jpg

e87093ae6ba93d13e37eb6c8e4fb2a7a.jpg

My built in brooder boxes. I pull a board from the center and it makes one big one. Also shows my incubator. Temp and moisture controlled with brain.
47b0b7a5918717946ae22202e969ca06.jpg

Inside view of auto door will get another of outside later.
6f78eb6459620355737f3d1b38e4e8c4.jpg

Haven't threaded in my chicken cups on PVC just yet but that's my food grade bucket that fills with a toilet float. I hook a garden hose to outside wall and just turn it on. Heat tape on the PVC and bird bath heater in the bucket.

Chicks arrive this week! Posted pics as promised and can post more pics of finished product if any interested.
9b5d619397680fcf6609cc5c30bb8f57.jpg

Oh and auto timer light which will switch on every morning at 4am. Also installed a thermostatically controlled variable speed gable fan for extra ventilation in the summer. Sooo, yes perhaps some bells and whistles!

Oh and auto timer light which will switch on every morning at 4am. Also installed a thermostatically controlled variable speed gable fan for extra ventilation in the summer. Sooo, yes perhaps some bells and whistles!
Wow that's quite the setup!!

Are you getting adult birds?
I wouldn't keep them under that much 'daylight'..... unless that is what they are used to.
Supplemental lighting should be ramped up slowly to avoid stress...and it's really not necessary this time of year.

Wow that's quite the setup!!

Are you getting adult birds?
I wouldn't keep them under that much 'daylight'..... unless that is what they are used to.
Supplemental lighting should be ramped up slowly to avoid stress...and it's really not necessary this time of year.
In the NW it gets dark as early as 4-5pm in the winter months and by mid summer it gets dark at around 9-10pm. There's a huge swing here. I have reminders set to turn off the light system in the spring and a reminder to turn it back on in the fall. That only gives a full 12 hours during a portion of the year.

I have 35 pullets and 4 cockerels coming this week.

Back
Top Bottom