Coop run ideas and suggestions please

windychatton

In the Brooder
May 20, 2015
Folks
I currently have 12 golden comet pullets in need of a run to be attached to our 12 foot diameter round coop. I can't decide what I should do. Here is a picture of what I am considering so far.

Be aware that the run will probably get muddy (or worse) and then you will need to walk through that every time you go to the coop if it entirely surrounds it. OTOH, it add an additional bit of predator protection, an outer perimeter to breach before trying the main coop.

How about moving the run so it surrounds the coop, but the coop door is at the edge of the run, in other words with one side of the run tangent to the circle?

Something to consider... a circle will get you the most square footage with the smallest perimeter. Since a huge cost of a run is hardware cloth, depending on the size, a circular run might make more financial sense. Yes, you'll need more posts for a circular run but it is easier to find salvaged or low cost lumber than hardware cloth. If you are using something less expensive than hardware cloth then it probably won't matter much.

I have ample supply of treated lumber (off an old deck) so that isnt an issue. Just the hardware cloth or other fencing will be the kicker.

I purchased my hardware cloth off amazon, it was substantially cheaper than the big box stores. The few mom and pop stores left here could not get it unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom