Coop secure or not?

mswforu

In the Brooder
Feb 18, 2017
No chickens yet- just set up purchased coop that of course says predator proof. After reading so many predator related blogs, Maybe I'm over paranoid? Live in DFW area in Texas. We have seen coyotes, fox, opossums, Hawks, skunks, bobcats, owls, rats in area and running in front yard. With that said- my husband and I disagree on the security of the coop.
He is putting the hardware material in the ground in the L shape around coop. I feel like it should go up the sides halfway. He doesn't feel it is necessary. I also feel like some. Netting over the top would be helpful.
So- what do you all think after looking st the picture? I really don't want to take chances!!!

Last edited:
Don't forget about snakes and digging critters. I just bought 1/2" hardware cloth at the Home Depot in Waxahachie and doubled it with heavier gauge 2x3 welded wire fencing. I'm new to this too. My chicks are 3-4 weeks old.

Welcome! I think your coop and run need both better predator proofing, and more coop ventilation. Hardware cloth over those wire walls, and hardware cloth covered windows and large vented openings. Also, latches that small children can't open, because raccoons are very good at latches. Think about rats, weasels, and 100 lb. hungry dogs, and build to suit. Mary

Thanks Mary! I agreee! Maybe my husband will too with some of this feedback!

Welcome! I think your coop and run need both better predator proofing, and more coop ventilation. Hardware cloth over those wire walls, and hardware cloth covered windows and large vented openings. Also, latches that small children can't open, because raccoons are very good at latches. Think about rats, weasels, and 100 lb. hungry dogs, and build to suit. Mary

Agreed. My gut feeling is that eventually something will get into that run-either by coming under it, knocking it over, or in through the gaps. Hard to say about the coop but I agree that you'll need more ventilation.

Ventilation: There is one vent in the back of coop and 2 side windows that had hard clear plastic on them - we did agree that we were going to put hardware cloth instead. That would be 3 openings for ventilation. We could put small one in front above coop door as well I suppose - do you think 3 is enough or put one on 4 th wall too?

What do I put over top? Do I need to cover the sides all the way up or is 5 feet up enough with hardware cloth?
The run is my concern for predators. It is very heavy. Took 4 of us to lift it so don't think it could be lifted.

Last edited:
What do I put over top? Do I need to cover the sides all the way up or is 5 feet up enough with hardware cloth?
The run is my concern for predators. It is very heavy. Took 4 of us to lift it so don't think it could be lifted.

If it were me I would cover the entire thing in hardware cloth although I'm unfamiliar with the best way to install it over a setup like you have-we had the benefit of being able to screw it into wood on our coop/run. I'm sure someone who has done something similar with chime in, however. Hardware cloth is a pain to work with and pricey but it does it's job. We have a ton of predators in our area and I scare critters off of our coop several times a week but we've never had a break in.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom