Coop Specific Question

Hi All!

Looking for input on my specific situation. I’ve gotten a lot of great input from others’ posts, but need specific advice on my ventilation.

I’m in MA. I built a 10x16 barn with a 4:12 pitch roof. 10x10’ is the coop for 20 birds. The other 6x10’ is storage, brooder, etc. space.

The yellow is the 10x10 coop. The green is a wall with nesting boxes on one side but mostly open with chicken wire. The front and back (blue long sides) have open eaves with hardware cloth (total of approx 17 sq. ft.). The roosts will be on the tall (10’ high) side with eaves 4’ above the highest roost.

My questions are:

I want to leave the “triangle” ends (orange) at the roofline open with hardware cloth. These will add approx. 25 sq. Ft. Of ventilation. Highest roost will be 3’ from the opening. Is this ok to leave open year round IF the green wall is open with chicken wire? Should I consider closing up the green wall more for warmth in winter while leaving the “triangle” ends open year round for ventilation? Gosh I hope this makes sense! Thanks for any advice!

Attachments

• 0AD93077-F103-4BC0-80B6-DB1268E178BE.jpeg
    0AD93077-F103-4BC0-80B6-DB1268E178BE.jpeg
    625.1 KB · Views: 31
Might be too much open space for winter, especially if the prevailing winds blow from that direction.
Pics of the building itself would help.

You could always cover that are with furnace filter to baffle the air flow there.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ventilation-baffling.75434
Might be too much open space for winter, especially if the prevailing winds blow from that direction.

You could always cover that are with furnace filter to baffle the air flow there.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ventilation-baffling.75434

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/ventilation-baffling.75434/
Thank you for the input. Much appreciated! I’ll plan on closing up the inside coop wall mostly. And I think I’ll add attic vents (2-12x12” on each triangle side) that will cut down on winds and protect from driving rains while providing ventilation; plus I can add the filters if needed on really bad weather days. Thanks again!

Attachments

• 74E90B5D-883C-44E3-B368-3A284D3A2F1A.jpeg
    74E90B5D-883C-44E3-B368-3A284D3A2F1A.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 8
You are not trying to keep your coop warm in winter, you are trying to provide ventilation and stop direct wind from hitting them. Your design will do that. My concern with those high triangles being open is that rain and snow can blow in. I'd consider louvers to reduce that. Aart's filters could do that too but watch that they don't get clogged with dust.

Speaking of dust, that storage area will collect a lot of dust across that wire fence. With what you are storing in there that may not be a concern but I'll just mention it.

You are not trying to keep your coop warm in winter, you are trying to provide ventilation and stop direct wind from hitting them. Your design will do that. My concern with those high triangles being open is that rain and snow can blow in. I'd consider louvers to reduce that. Aart's filters could do that too but watch that they don't get clogged with dust.

Speaking of dust, that storage area will collect a lot of dust across that wire fence. With what you are storing in there that may not be a concern but I'll just mention it.
Ugh, you’re right! I’ve read it so many times- don’t think like a human! (Trying to keep them warm) but I did it anyways 😂 ok so do you think I need to close up the interior coop wall or open with chicken wire is fine? And yes! I’ve found some louvers for those triangles. 👍🏻 And thanks for the reminder 🙏 I will probably grab storage containers for anything ai don’t want full of dust!

Back
Top Bottom