Coop Ventilation - Cold Climates

Chwicks

Chirping
Mar 14, 2018
North Wisconsin
ETA: Location is Northermost Wisconsin

Hi everyone! First time poster, long time lurker.

I’m hoping that you all can provide some of your expert advice on a ventilation question I have on our coop. We built it last year and now have (21) 6 week old chicks living in it.

We built the coop with lots of ventilation, per calculations I found on this site and reference books, for the amount of chickens we plan to maintain in our flock. However, it seems like the coop is a bit drafty with all of the ventilation - and I know we want ventilation/circulation, but not drafts; especially given we will have VERY cold temperatures in our area in the Winter.

We designed our coop with a lean-to roof, so the back is a little lower than the front. The North winds blow against the back of the coop. We put ventilation under all of the eves with predator proofing when we built the coop. We also installed extra vents (white A/C vent covers) on the back to ensure sufficient ventilation (based on chickens and square footage of coop). We currently have the white vents closed because it’s just too much air flow, and will likely keep them sealed up in the Winter because we think all of the eve ventilation should be sufficient.

Anyhow, my question is this....

I’m wondering if I can place an angled 2x4 (as shown in the 2nd from right vent) to decrease the air flowing into the coop without compromising the efficacy of the ventilation? I feel like it would work because fumes, moisture, and excess warmth can still escape the coop. There is still some air flow that comes through the ventilation slot to help circulate the air in the coop, but it is greatly reduced - thus not as ‘drafty’.

Can you all let me know your thoughts? Do you think this is a viable solution?

The whole ventilation without draft is such a hard think to achieve, in my opinion. I just don’t want a bunch of frostbit chickens come Winter.

Thanks to all of you that stuck through my long-winded posting, and to all of you that take the time to offer advice and/or suggestions.

Attachments

• 2A58EED7-22BE-47C4-97FF-5A6B5AD4060D.jpeg
    2A58EED7-22BE-47C4-97FF-5A6B5AD4060D.jpeg
    301.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 53487814-8839-4D87-816D-5727F6CF1AE0.jpeg
    53487814-8839-4D87-816D-5727F6CF1AE0.jpeg
    639.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 3D661C10-9010-40CC-8ADE-A05BB31D6366.jpeg
    3D661C10-9010-40CC-8ADE-A05BB31D6366.jpeg
    444 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
That seems like a good idea to me. But where are you? I think it’s only in winter you need to worry about drafts, so their feathers don’t ruffle and lose their insulation. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but in summer it’s more important to keep them cool.

You can add your location (even just your state or province) to your profile. It will help folks with this discussion.

Last edited:
I agree easier to advise from knowing a location state, with that being able to adjust the openings is good frostbit birds from condensation does happen would be good to close half in the winter possibly

That seems like a good idea to me. But where are you? I think it’s only in winter you need to worry about drafts, so their feathers don’t ruffle and lose their insulation. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong, but in summer it’s more important to keep them cool.

You can add your location (even just your state or province) to your profile. It will help folks with this discussion.

Thanks so much for taking the time to help with my question. :) My location is far North Wisconsin.

I’m looking to solve the problem on ventilation prior to Winter, and as the chicks get to 8 weeks we’ll be opening up the A/C ventilation pieces again to help keep them cooler. Right now, our overnight temperatures are still in the low 50s and high 40s. They have their heating pads out there with them, so they’re staying warm.

I’m not sure how to add my location to my profile, but I edited my posting with my location. I’ll work on figuring out the profile location thing. :)

Thanks again.

I’m looking to solve the problem on ventilation prior to Winter, and as the chicks get to 8 weeks we’ll be opening up the A/C ventilation pieces again to help keep them cooler. Right now, our overnight temperatures are still in the low 50s and high 40s. They have their heating pads out there with them, so they’re staying warm.

I’m not sure how to add my location to my profile, but I edited my posting with my location. I’ll work on figuring out the profile location thing. :)

Oh! Young chicks. I see! Perfect; yes, a breeze is probably not good.

Editing your profile - aart tells everybody how to do this! It’s not hard. Maybe she will come along and paste in the instructions!

Last edited:
ETA: Location is Northermost Wisconsin

Hi everyone! First time poster, long time lurker.

I’m hoping that you all can provide some of your expert advice on a ventilation question I have on our coop. We built it last year and now have (21) 6 week old chicks living in it.

We built the coop with lots of ventilation, per calculations I found on this site and reference books, for the amount of chickens we plan to maintain in our flock. However, it seems like the coop is a bit drafty with all of the ventilation - and I know we want ventilation/circulation, but not drafts; especially given we will have VERY cold temperatures in our area in the Winter.

We designed our coop with a lean-to roof, so the back is a little lower than the front. The North winds blow against the back of the coop. We put ventilation under all of the eves with predator proofing when we built the coop. We also installed extra vents (white A/C vent covers) on the back to ensure sufficient ventilation (based on chickens and square footage of coop). We currently have the white vents closed because it’s just too much air flow, and will likely keep them sealed up in the Winter because we think all of the eve ventilation should be sufficient.

Anyhow, my question is this....

I’m wondering if I can place an angled 2x4 (as shown in the 2nd from right vent) to decrease the air flowing into the coop without compromising the efficacy of the ventilation? I feel like it would work because fumes, moisture, and excess warmth can still escape the coop. There is still some air flow that comes through the ventilation slot to help circulate the air in the coop, but it is greatly reduced - thus not as ‘drafty’.

Can you all let me know your thoughts? Do you think this is a viable solution?

The whole ventilation without draft is such a hard think to achieve, in my opinion. I just don’t want a bunch of frostbit chickens come Winter.

Thanks to all of you that stuck through my long-winded posting, and to all of you that take the time to offer advice and/or suggestions.
wow - what a great looking coop! I live in SW Idaho, and we get pretty cold winters. I have TONS of windows (cut-outs with hardware cloth) all over my coop. I just hinge the pieces of siding I cut out to the opening. I use simple chain lengths to hold the flaps open all summer, and let them close and hang down in bad weather. My new coop is walk-in with 16x16 roof, 4' of which is additionally enclosed for a roost. I have "interior" cut-outs that can stay open during cooler weather without letting rain or snow inside. I just made sure my openings are all 24" above the roost bar, so any cooler breeze will blow OVER the roosting birds. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for taking the time to help with my question. :) My location is far North Wisconsin.

Thanks again.

We came out of Wisconsin when I was 8 know the winter there

Here are a couple of pictures - showing how mine turned out... I am very happy with the functionality. I included a close up of the chain I attached to hold it open (i just drive a screw part way into the flap and hook the chain on the screw. super easy, and not expensive.

Attachments

• IMG_3488.JPG
    IMG_3488.JPG
    527.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3489.JPG
    IMG_3489.JPG
    580.3 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3491.JPG
    IMG_3491.JPG
    299 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3492.JPG
    IMG_3492.JPG