Winter coop ventilation and drafts

Coopcheney

Songster
May 21, 2023
New Jersey
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between a draft on the coop and ventilation? As fall and winter loom I am a bit confused. If we are supposed to seal all cracks and make sure there are no drafts in the coop why do they say you need ventilation? My coop has good ventilation but it could use some sealing this winter but I just do t get how it’s different than a vent? I hope I don’t sound silly….just an honest question.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between a draft on the coop and ventilation? As fall and winter loom I am a bit confused. If we are supposed to seal all cracks and make sure there are no drafts in the coop why do they say you need ventilation? My coop has good ventilation but it could use some sealing this winter but I just do t get how it’s different than a vent? I hope I don’t sound silly….just an honest question.
Air movement is OK, good even, unless that movement is strong enough to literally ruffle feathers while the birds roost. Their feathers keep their body heat in, so if feathers are moved heat can escape. Observing birds on the roost when it's windy outside can be a great way to see just how strong any 'drafts' are.

If you post pics of your coop, inside and out, showing ventilation we can help you by spotting any areas that may need improvements.

Would also help to know.....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1693140667678.png

Back
Top Bottom