Coop Windows to purchase

I purchased these off of Amazon when I was building my coop. They were $50 a piece, not sure now.

https://www.amazon.com/Window-Flush...DDJ2BKM&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_grid_dv_rp_0_12_t

20230326_154602.jpg

We built ours with 1/4" thick Plexiglas and hinged them at the top. The hardest part was cutting the plexi. A fine blade on the circular saw did alright. We also put hardware cloth on the inside.
Can you please post a picture of this for me, esp on how you open and close it depending on the weather. Thanks!

Can you please post a picture of this for me, esp on how you open and close it depending on the weather. Thanks!

I don't have any pics it seems. Plexiglas is very expensive for the 1/4" but the thinner stuff has zero durability. Some of mine are still made with the siding piece we cut out when cutting the window opening.

I will try to remember to take a few this afternoon since it will still be dark when I head to work.

I do have one picture that shows a solid siding window. If you zoom in you might be able to see the screw heads on the white boards. Basically the siding is 1/2" smaller all around than the opening. It is framed with 1x3 boards using truss head machine screws, washers and nylock nuts. The nuts are what I brace the pieces of wood on to hold them open. While this one is made with siding they are all built the same. After 10 years they are needing the bottom boards replaced.

IMG_20230806_131008_3.jpg

Ok finally getting back to you.
I decided to replace the solid panels (shown in picture above) with 1/4" Plexiglas. Some of the wood was rotting after all these years. To open and close I literally just prop them open. To latch them on windy winter days a twist latch like on the door works as do slide bolts. This one never had a latch as the wind blows toward it.

IMG_20230827_141008.jpg IMG_20230827_141101.jpg

I had framed out openings when I built my coop, but never got around to installing windows. To get by, I cut scrap plexiglass that I had on hand to shove inside the openings. Then, just last week I managed to get something assembled to hinge windows of sorts. Once I find my leftover chain, I'll screw in some hooks so that I don't have to prop the windows open.
IMG_20230901_075133_086.jpg

IMG_20230901_075151_912.jpg

Back
Top Bottom