Cooper's Hawk Checking Out Free-Range Chickens

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Yesterday at 5:00 PM after dogs taken for walk and pup taken into house, the female dog remaining outside and pup began barking with pup getting excited at the window. I walked out front door to see Cooper's Hawk the female dog had just flushed from going after am American Game stag that burrowed into a Miscanthus clump. The stag then came running out and past me while dogs tracked hawk flying to a tree about 100 east of house. Hawk remained there for about 15 minutes preening before dropping out of site. This was likely not first occurrence as chickens have been staying closer to cover for the last 2 weeks. Normally they would go across road to forage, but have not been venturing to even road unless dogs laying there in the road. One hen has juvenile offspring that are about 10 weeks old, so barely small enough for the Coopers to pack off. There mother is still in mental state needed to attack hawk but that will change soon. Rooster not effective now because in heavy part of molt.

We have lots of fruit for migratory birds and songbirds eating it. The hawk I think going more after those. I think this hawk is immature female.

A farmer recently told me he set up kestrel hawk houses to attract the small, but territorial kestrel hawks to live near his chickens and keep the larger hawks away.

We have a lot of cooper hawks and redtail hawks that like to swoop on the chickens and I've wondered if that would actually work or not.

I'm glad your chickens seem to be cautious of the hawk. I have some that are and others that seem oblivious. Fortunately, our guineas and dogs chase them off pretty well so far.

During middle of day I can see Coopers Hawks, multiple, riding thermals overhead as they fly south west in migration. Those are not the ones I worry about, although the chickens watch them and talk among themselves. The problem Cooper's Hawks are flying below the treetops in the same general direction from perch to perch looking for fuel. So far not a single of my chickens has been taken. Dog and heavy cover helping I am certain. The smaller juvenile chickens are still protected by momma that clucks to them even thought the youngsters are pushing 12 weeks old. She will take on a Coopers Hawk and more like that not prevail.

Ugh, I lost my very first chicken last night to one of these bastards. Took out one of my biggest ladies, a brahma. I've seen them overhead before, but never actively stalking my birds. It's been months of care free, free range grazing, now I'm terrified to let them out of the covered run. I wish there were better ways to deal with or deture them.

@Baumbergerflock , so sorry for your loss! keep your birds in for ten days to three weeks, until that hawk gives up and moves on.
Free ranging is always a risk, and raptors are the least of it! Canines, wild and domestic, can take out dozens in a short time during the day. :old Unforgettable very bad experiences...
Mary
So very true.🙁 Too many for me to continue to take the risk - my birds are either in a large covered run or in secure tractors on pasture now. No predator losses since, but I miss seeing them roaming the fields and catching bugs.

Ugh, I lost my very first chicken last night to one of these bastards. Took out one of my biggest ladies, a brahma. I've seen them overhead before, but never actively stalking my birds. It's been months of care free, free range grazing, now I'm terrified to let them out of the covered run. I wish there were better ways to deal with or deture them.
A Red Tail Hawk was IN My chicken Run yesterday. My chickens free range and one was in the coop laying and another was under the coop, I guess hiding from the hawk. The other 5 were hiding on the other side of the property under the trees/bushes. Since I leave the door open for the chickens the hawk just walked in. How it ended up in the run and not the coop was a blessing. No chickens were hurt but it took HOURS to get them back into the coop. I won't let them out of the coop at all now and I can tell they want to roam. My Husband opened the top of the run and the Hawk flew out.

Attachments

• red tail hawk.png
    red tail hawk.png
    854.3 KB · Views: 19
I lost both Blue Plymouth to Red Tail Hawks. One was a positive attack because I saw it and the other is unsure because what ever killed her took her body. I just had another Chicken attacked yesterday, a BO. She survived but has bad injuries on her back. I cleaned her with an antiseptic/disinfectant . If she is still alive in the morning I will clean again and add Neosporin on a gauze to cover the wound. I can’t let them free range anymore. The first two attacks have been very spread out. Months apart. This one was only weeks since that last one.

Back
Top Bottom