Coops size and ventilation needs

Eriksroost

Hatching
Mar 9, 2023
Hi everyone this will be my first year having chickens I am in the process of building the coop right now. The original plan was a 4x4 coop for 6 chickens, I am now thinking expanding to a 4x6 coop for 8 chickens. I know it may be a tight fit but they will have access to a 30x16 ft run all summer and a 8x4 enclosed run in the winter. (If the number of chickens is still way too high pls let me know. I am in Northern Ohio. Is a foot of roost space per bird enough room? I have a the tops of the front and back of-the coop open 4” On each side covered in hardwire clothe (vent on front and back are 4’x4” just below roof), how far below those vents should the roost bars be. The coop is 36” tall in the back(32” to vent)and 46 inches tall in the front(42” to vent). With 12” high entrance to nesting boxes on back and 12” high door to the run on the front. My original plan was to put the roost bar parallel with back wall 12” away and 15 inches high and another parallel with it but 12” off the front wall at 20 inches high. The roost would be 24 inches from each other with 4’ of roost space each. Would I need to block the back vents in winter and just leave front ones open? Any advise is appreciated.

The rule of thumb is:
4sq feet per bird, more if you live someplace with hard winters or lots of rain
1sq foot of permanent ventilation per bird above their heads.
14" of roost per bird.
1 nestbox per 3-4 hens.

I'd build it a little taller if possible.
Never heard of that 1sq foot of ventilation per bird before even though I’ve researched it a lot, so I would be better off having 6”gaps at the top of the walls? That would give me 4sq feet which isn’t ideal but better I’d assume and then I also planned on having a window on the side of coop to open during the summer for extra venting. (Hardware cloth as well)

You may have issues in winter with such a small run + a coop that's already leaning on the small side for the number of birds. Cabin fever is a big reason why some folks choose to cull down their flocks during winter, to avoid those problems. Any reason the "winter" run can't be expanded to more like 80 sq ft?

1 sq ft ventilation per bird is recommended minimum on here. I'd recommend more if at all possible, as you may fine the minimum to be inadequate during hot summer months.

Overall I think your planned set up as-is is just a bit too tight for 8. 4 is closer to ideal, maybe you could get away with 6, IF their winter space is expanded.

You may have issues in winter with such a small run + a coop that's already leaning on the small side for the number of birds. Cabin fever is a big reason why some folks choose to cull down their flocks during winter, to avoid those problems. Any reason the "winter" run can't be expanded to more like 80 sq ft?

1 sq ft ventilation per bird is recommended minimum on here. I'd recommend more if at all possible, as you may fine the minimum to be inadequate during hot summer months.

Overall I think your planned set up as-is is just a bit too tight for 8. 4 is closer to ideal, maybe you could get away with 6, IF their winter space is expanded.
They will still have the full 30x16 run but only the 8x4 will be covered to protect from elements on real harsh weather days, otherwise they will have full access to the entire run if they choose to. I figured I was squeezing too many in but thought I should ask first, thank you! Does the run set up make more sense now? It’ll be like 3.5 walls and a roof to help prevent harsh weather but still allow access to more run and ventilation in covered area

Don't underestimate the importance of ventilation in the winter. The moisture from their poop and breath needs to escape or frostbite can occur.
That is why I’m here to make sure it is adequate, haha any tips on the roost bar placement below vents?

Never heard of that 1sq foot of ventilation per bird before even though I’ve researched it a lot, so I would be better off having 6”gaps at the top of the walls? That would give me 4sq feet which isn’t ideal but better I’d assume and then I also planned on having a window on the side of coop to open during the summer for extra venting. (Hardware cloth as well)
Any tips on the placement of my roost bars or does my layout seem adequate in that regard?

They will still have the full 30x16 run but only the 8x4 will be covered to protect from elements on real harsh weather days, otherwise they will have full access to the entire run if they choose to. I figured I was squeezing too many in but thought I should ask first, thank you! Does the run set up make more sense now? It’ll be like 3.5 walls and a roof to help prevent harsh weather but still allow access to more run and ventilation in covered area
If the 8x4 run is completely predator proof and tarped up the sides with ventilation at the top, and you can leave the coop door open at night, you can consider the whole thing their coop/living space which would be big enough for 8. They would need access to the big run every day though, even in winter although they may not choose to go out if there’s snow on the ground. You could even put a small tarp on the side of the run that is closed to the enclosed area so they have a space safe from the elements if they do go out.

Back
Top Bottom