Cornish Cross Multiple Unexplained Deaths

Apr 28, 2019
Western North Carolina
I ordered 40 cornish cross from Tractor Supply (Hoover's Hatchery). This is our 4th time raising meat chicks and we've always ordered this way. This time 2 were DOA and 3 more within 48 hours. They were in the mail way too long and they mailed them out right during a cold snap.

However, I've lost 3 more after that initial 48 hours and I think I may lose 2 more soon. They all seemed so healthy but they just keep randomly suddenly getting sluggish and then dying within the hour. I started with medicated feed for the first several days, but there's no sign of bloody stool (so I'm not seeing many signs of coccidiosis) and I've switched to organic starter/grower. It's not pasty butt. Heat is at the correct temp, I have multiple thermometers to ensure that. Water is fresh and has electrolytes. I've cleaned the brooder daily and put fresh pine flakes.

They arrived 1 week ago and I just keep losing more. I'm about to be down to 30. I've never lost this many, and I know the mail journey was more difficult this year, but what could explain the seemingly healthy ones dying so suddenly?

What could be wrong?

I ordered 40 cornish cross from Tractor Supply (Hoover's Hatchery). This is our 4th time raising meat chicks and we've always ordered this way. This time 2 were DOA and 3 more within 48 hours. They were in the mail way too long and they mailed them out right during a cold snap.

However, I've lost 3 more after that initial 48 hours and I think I may lose 2 more soon. They all seemed so healthy but they just keep randomly suddenly getting sluggish and then dying within the hour. I started with medicated feed for the first several days, but there's no sign of bloody stool (so I'm not seeing many signs of coccidiosis) and I've switched to organic starter/grower. It's not pasty butt. Heat is at the correct temp, I have multiple thermometers to ensure that. Water is fresh and has electrolytes. I've cleaned the brooder daily and put fresh pine flakes.

They arrived 1 week ago and I just keep losing more. I'm about to be down to 30. I've never lost this many, and I know the mail journey was more difficult this year, but what could explain the seemingly healthy ones dying so suddenly?

What could be wrong?
I don't know that I have an answer for you, but I have a few things you could try and check.

1) are you sure they're getting enough ventilation and that there are no molds in their bedding or food? Do you have a new brooder - could the plastic be outgassing from the heat lamp?

2) Are they eating the shavings? Because if so that could cause sudden death like that. Do you sprinkle your food with Chick Grit ? This will solve that issue.

3) If they got super cold during shipment, they may have developed pneumonia or something that you just haven't noticed. I'd check the MERCK veterinary manual online for sudden death possibilities for CX. That entire manual is written for commercial growers of CX.

4)I'd give the chicks some Nutri-Drench in their water, or by dropper in their mouth. It can really perk up chicks that are feeling low or struggling. It's basically molasses water, so has lots of trace minerals/vitamins and nutrients.

5) To be sure what this is, and try to prevent this from happening again, you can put a chick in the fridge once it passes (not on ice) and then ship it to your state veterinary laboratory for an autopsy. Metzer hatchery has a list of where those are and the contact info. The lab will tell you how to package and ship the chick, and how much it will cost. Sometimes they're quite reasonable. This is the best way you will know for sure what's going on.

Sorry you're dealing with this. Hope things get better very soon!!!

Back
Top Bottom