Cornish (Indian Games) best sources?

pascopol

Songster
11 Years
Jan 6, 2009
Tampa Bay
Please share your experience (s) and opinions regarding sources of pure bred Cornish chicks or eggs of any color from commercial hatcheries like Cackle, Murray, Strombergs, or individual breeders. NO COMMERCIAL X-crosses.

I know White Cornish are hard to come by, do not understand why, since they are being used by commercial breeders by millions to produce X crosses. So I will likely start with Dark or/and Red Laced Cornish.

I am not interested in show quality birds, but rather utilitarian values: weight, vigor, decent laying capability as for this breed of course.

I got tired of "dual purpose breeds" since their meat is disappointing saying the least and their egg production is OK but with raising feed costs I switched to Brown Leghorns efficiency for my eating eggs.

The only "dual" heavies I still keep are Light Sussex due to their exceptional meat quality and very nice calm disposition, also getting into Dorkings, just got some Colored Dorkings from Mary Wetterstroem. THANKS Mary !

I immediately fell in love with Dorkings, this truly MAGNIFICENT breed deserves more attention and promotion than it gets.

I need Cornish as table bird, also to experiment with Cornish Sussex and Dorkings crosses for table birds, cause personally I do not touch supermarket chicken meat. I never raised commercial Cornish X-crosses, but reading about them, and the way they are being raised, health problems, also considering humanitarian reasons I will never try raising them commercial Cornish X-crosses.

I would appreciate anybody's input, especially opinions of those who had Cornish from more than one source, that makes it more valid and valuable opinion.

I am raising severl dark cornish cockerels to cross with my rhode island red hens to make a red broiler. On my first attempt several year ago I ordered from Strombergs and although they are just brokers, I received very nice group of dark cornish cockerel chicks. Unfortunate occurances happened and I ended up with no roosters anyway. In the spring of 012 I ordered from a different hatchery(well known) and these cockerels are not comparable. I will use them anyway for 13.
When I first started this project I was thinking heritage cornish from a breeder but after a lot of research I found very little as far as breeders or birds available so I decided to go with the hatchery birds. There were Dark Cornish hatching eggs available on e bay for a while there.

I got some Dark Cornish from Ideal Hatchery this year. They grew up to be nice looking birds. The pullets actually layed pretty good. A coyote got my cockerel while I was in the hospital. He was actually like the old type cornish. He had fairly long legs and reminded me of a malay. I don't like the short stubby legs that people breed for these days. I have some Dark Cornish bantams and my rooster has a hard time mounting hens because his legs are so short. I sold my pullets this fall. They were 9 months old and weighted over 6lbs.
Mark

I have heard of the short leg problems with this breed. I guess the hatchery birds will work better for my purposes. Chickens in general are far and few between in this area so my choices are limited.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a breeder that breeds and sells Red Laced Cornish.
We have the dark "Bulldog" Line and are pleased, but would love to raise some Redlaced.
Such a nice looking bird.
Thanks !! Lee from Douglasville, Ga.

Hello Marans and More.
Could you tell me what the dark Bulldog type of cornish is. Is that just Dark Cornish. And if you go to the International Cornish Breeders site. And even check further on this site. You will get names and contacts for the White Laced Reds also Darks and Whites. Just a matter of knowing a little about that persons birds and where they came from etc. The internet can find alot of information. But when it comes to Standard White Cornish. From the Poultry or Broiler Industry you will not find much. It is a multi-Billion dollar business. And genetics so it is very top secret stuff......Thank....Nick

Are you sure that's a dark Cornish...I think somebody fooled you or the hatchery you got him from has some serious mixed blood in thier " dark Cornish " Meyer has decent hatchery Cornish, they're still hatchery birds but the feathering is a little tighter and the color is at least dark Cornish... to the OP, the reason threads like this don't go anywhere is because this topic has repeated itself a million times on this forum and quite frankly people are tired of responding to the same subject over and over and over. My advice is to use your " search " box and read over past posts before starting a " new " topic that isn't after all new what so ever. I know this post is a couple month old but people need to do more research before asking questions that have already been answered time and time again.

Back
Top Bottom