Cornish rocks ?!!

Shell, could you share with us some photos?

Are you certain they're Cornish X's? Some member have accidentally raised White Leghorns and were surprised weeks later to see their chicks not growing as expected.

I can get some pics in a little while...pretty sure they are Cornish and not leghorns because of the leg problem

From what I understand, the Cornx chicks develop leg problems due to two things.. faster than normal growth, and extra weight (muscle) in combo...

From the way you are talking, your chicks have neither of these problems... So personally, I would question (and label) the causual agent of the leg problems as your target to the source of the problems you have experinced with these birds.

Maybe it's just me though, and my own uneducated opinion..

Last edited:
Quote:
the leg problem is the deciding agent on our butchering now instead of later because when they start limping is when they start going downhill
idunno.gif

Sorry but I don't see a single cornish rock on that page. Meat birds are usually too big to do any roosting. Even the last white bird pic looks like a leghorn to me.
Edited to add pic: Here is a pic of my meat birds.
IMG_1896.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
that is the problem.. they are supposed to be meat birds but they are not
idunno.gif

they are not gaining anymore weight and they all of a sudden develop leg problems and start limping..within a few days they end up dead in one way or another..very frustrating

I wonder if it could be from the rooster trying to mate with them and being too large? I don't know if it could be a possibility, but are they lacking in other nutrients that they wouldn't have been getting because of eating meatbird food instead of layer food? I dunno - just throwing it out there. Hmm - why would normal birds have leg problems..................

Back
Top Bottom