Cornish Thread

I have a pair from show quality and a pair of hatchery type. I hav'nt raised any of the hatchery type yet. I just got them but I'm eager to have some to compare. Both pair are Darks.

Hi CanadianBuckeye,I like the looks of the hatchery hen better than the cock.I want to raise a few to see how the offspring compares to the SQ. I will still try to breed SQ to SOP and maybe cross some for meat. But I will be focusing more on the White Cornish.

I now have a start in 'show type' DCs, just not show quality, if that makes sense. I was recently gifted some very nice 'hatchery' DC hens that are better than most of their ilk and can see where both types will play very important rolls in our meat production program.

Every bird I have at this point (except a few NNs) is what can honestly be termed "serial broodies" and that's just fine. with no plans to use that miserable 6 hundred plus dollar incubator my dad bought for me, at least not at this time, these birds will be just the ticket to control temp., humidity and whatever else that contraption is geared to do. The hens can take care of the peeps for the first critical weeks far better than I can too.

I was in West Virginia a few weeks ago during my dad's illness and I witnessed a broody White Chantecler take her peeps out into windy cold weather with temps dipping to about 43 degrees F and that amazed me. They ran and played and if they felt a chill, they scurried up under momma's skirt for a few minutes and out to play and feed again. So much for that 95 degrees everyone keeps their 'hot-house' birds, pre-roasting I guess. No pasty butts, coughs or any ill effects. I WILL have a couple of those young birds for my flock if I have to steal them...lol

Last edited:
I now have a start in 'show type' DCs, just not show quality, if that makes sense.  I was recently gifted some very nice 'hatchery' DC hens that are better than most of their ilk and can see where both types will play very important rolls in our meat production program.  

Every bird I have at this point (except a few NNs) is what can honestly be termed "serial broodies" and that's just fine.  with no plans to use that miserable 6 hundred plus dollar incubator my dad bought for me, at least not at this time, these birds will be just the ticket to control temp., humidity and whatever else that contraption is geared to do.  The hens can take care of the peeps for the first critical weeks far better than I can too.

I was in West Virginia a few weeks ago during my dad's illness and I witnessed a broody White Chantecler take her peeps out into windy cold weather with temps dipping to about 43 degrees F and that amazed me.  They ran and played and if they felt a chill, they scurried up under momma's skirt for a few minutes and out to play and feed again.  So much for that 95 degrees everyone keeps their 'hot-house' birds, pre-roasting I guess.  No pasty butts, coughs or any ill effects.  I WILL have a couple of those young birds for my flock if I have to steal them...lol
I agree with your assessment on the temp.lol
People get too hung up on the "guidelines" If chickens were as fragile as some would have you believe,they would have died out long ago.I wish you luck with the broodies.
I've decided the only way they will work for me is in individual pens. Easier to use the incubator.

I now have a start in 'show type' DCs, just not show quality, if that makes sense. I was recently gifted some very nice 'hatchery' DC hens that are better than most of their ilk and can see where both types will play very important rolls in our meat production program.

Every bird I have at this point (except a few NNs) is what can honestly be termed "serial broodies" and that's just fine. with no plans to use that miserable 6 hundred plus dollar incubator my dad bought for me, at least not at this time, these birds will be just the ticket to control temp., humidity and whatever else that contraption is geared to do. The hens can take care of the peeps for the first critical weeks far better than I can too.

I was in West Virginia a few weeks ago during my dad's illness and I witnessed a broody White Chantecler take her peeps out into windy cold weather with temps dipping to about 43 degrees F and that amazed me. They ran and played and if they felt a chill, they scurried up under momma's skirt for a few minutes and out to play and feed again. So much for that 95 degrees everyone keeps their 'hot-house' birds, pre-roasting I guess. No pasty butts, coughs or any ill effects. I WILL have a couple of those young birds for my flock if I have to steal them...lol

I have dark cornish serial broodies too. I have never let them hatch any eggs though, my concern is that they are so big and heavy they will squash everything underneath them. Next year I do plan to let them hatch out a few, but I'm only going to put 6- 8 or so eggs under each hen. This will be an interesting experiment.

Hi CanadianBuckeye,I like the looks of the hatchery hen better than the cock.I want to raise a few to see how the offspring compares to the SQ. I will still try to breed SQ to SOP and maybe cross some for meat. But I will be focusing more on the White Cornish.

I think that if you order a lot of hatchery chicks, you may be able to select some decent ones. Someone on a different forum selected a trio of white laced red cornish from 50 Murray McMurray chicks, and to me they looked pretty decent and I would have been glad to have them.
But I'm not sure if they would have done well in the shows compared to the SOP bred show stock, but they were still nice meaty birds and definitely looked like Cornish.

It's a waste of time and resources. If you want birds that sorta look like the breed your after, go ahead order from a hatchery. They will lay better than the SOP birds because they have been bred to lay eggs.Normally with the influence of another high egg laying breed.
If you want SOP look up the pertinent bteed clubs on Facebook and join them. There are some EXCELLENT REPUTABLE BREEDERS. If you even think you might be interested in SOP birds,Do NOT buy from a hatchery.You will NOT be Happy.

Back
Top Bottom