correctional center employees .................a shout out to ........

bluebirdfarm

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
blue rock west virginia
does anyone here work at a correctional center ?
i am contemplating a new position in a local one and I would be working in the Library , was just wondering what comments anyone has on the subject .
I think I have a pretty good personality type for the job , LOL.
I am easy going and not very stressed out in other words.
ep.gif

The job pays twice what i am making now !!!!yikes
wee.gif

Last edited:
I worked at one for about 4 years - 3 as a correctional officer. It wasn't bad, it's all what you make of it. Just know the dos and don'ts and don't let yourself be talked/goaded into doing something that you shouldn't. I enjoyed working there just not both of us on shift work with the kids.

well i am still waiting for a call for an interview, evidentaly either the hiring takes a lot longer than i thought or they are Not going to interview me . LOL it has been two weeks since I submitted my application to the state on line and they did recieve it , i checked .
waiting........................and hoping .................
I am the only income we have , and it is below poverty level !!!!!my DH does not work , he atkes care of the farm , but we don't get much income from that, just from the beehives and honey we sell from them. LOL , i hate being poor , esp at the holidays . ojh well !

i called the state job center and they said i should hear from them in 3 weeks or less, thats a relief! at least i know something !
the job is rated and that means yopu don't take a test . LOL
they rate you on your qualifications, you auto get a 70 if you meet the qualifications ( like education and expierence ) and since i met them all i should have a 70 , then they build on that from any extra expierence you have !
I don't think that there are going to be a whole lot of applicants fro this job that meet the requirements in my area so hopefully ..............................keeping those fingers crossed !!!!
LOL I do have 7 years expierence and all the state training required for the job even though i do not have a degree !!!!
keep hoping for the best !

It will certainly change your outlook on life. Everywhere you go, you will see former inmates, and you will always be looking over your shoulder. You will become very suspicious, and you will see things in society that others would never dream of in their worst nightmare.

Trust no one! Be absolutely honest about your past with management, but never let inmates know anything about you. Don't talk about your family, personal religious beliefs, politics, personal problems or anything else in front of inmates.

After about a year in the job, most people decide it just isn't worth the money. I can't figure up how many people died in this profession in the thirty years I worked it. Some died even after leaving the job. A former transportation officer quit and went to work as a store clerk. The place was robbed, and they must have recognized her. They made sure she was dead.

Think twice about this job. If you do it, be prepared to cut off friends and family. You will have to work horrible hours, weekends, holidays. It is a real pain to miss a family wedding or funeral just because you have to work.

Good Luck,

Rufus

rufus, thnx for the info/ advice .
wow i never looked at it that way .
well it would be nice to make more money , but we are also trying to sell our 108.2 acre land and hopefully this job wouldn't last too long , of course i willnot tell them we are going to be moving until After they hire me.LOL.

Back
Top Bottom