Corrugated translucent roofing panels?

npilston

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2016
I'm putting together a small, shed-roofed coop, and an 8' x 16' run for my first 6 chicks (should be here next week or so). Platform is done, and I'm looking for some used RV, or shed windows, so I can frame them up into the walls. I've got most of my materials sourced, and am now considering my options for roofing.

I've gone a few pages deep in this section, and haven't seen mention of these clear roof panels. I'm trying to use up scrap wood, and I have leftover shingles - but these panels would be faster and simpler to install, and let mega-light into the wee building.

My concern would be the critters barbecuing, or bursting into flames on a sunny, summer day. I have nothing against barbecued chicken, but I don't fancy guts and feathers being part of the menu. I could see the full light being a benefit in the PA winter (adding some heat)

Have any of yinz used a clear roof with sun exposure? :yiipchick

Whilst it can make a coop very warm, I would imagine that your flock would not be inside during daylight hours (or at least until the evening when things cool down), so as Jetcat says, with extensive ventilation and shade things should be fine (you can always cover some of the ventilation in winter). I do have a small coop for growing out / quarantine that has this type of roofing and it works fine - the temperatures here in Kenya are never crazy hot and always cool on an evening.

CT

Our coop uses those and they work great. The coop has a lot of ventilation so that probably makes a difference. We built the Garden Coop and that's the roofing material he specified.

Back
Top Bottom