Cotornix Quail second hatch failing miserably

Lisa jadede

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2023
Hi, I'm on my second hatch of cotornix Quail. First hatch I incubated 25 eggs at 38 degrees. Got one deformed bird and one healthy one who is growing well with his parents in the cage out back now. Its day before hatch day, this time I incubated at 38.3 C and kept humidity at 60 % for first ten days then up to 80% for last 4 days. I'm hearing a few little bumps this time but I'm worried the entire hatch will fail again. My incubator is a plastic container one with fan on top and rollers to turn the eggs.

60% humidity would definitely not work for me.... That would be way too high, but if you do not have a salt tested humidity gauge, can't be sure that your humidity is actually 60% and not higher.
Are you trusting the reading on your plastic incubator?
If so, I highly recommend that you do not trust it again in the future and you purchase one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Thermo...t=&hvlocphy=1026481&hvtargid=pla-768559077094

60% humidity would definitely not work for me.... That would be way too high, but if you do not have a salt tested humidity gauge, can't be sure that your humidity is actually 60% and not higher.
If so, I highly recommend that you do not trust it again in the future and you purchase one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Govee-Thermo...t=&hvlocphy=1026481&hvtargid=pla-768559077094
I'm going to have a look at this link thanks. Also I forgot to mention, I'm in Darwin Australia, and it's tropical here for 6 months and dry and hot for 6 months. It rarely drops below 35 degrees here. So I doubt it was anything like the shrink wrapping etc that can happen as none of the eggs even pipped aside from 2. I did suspect that the first hatch may have had some interference from the a/C in the lounge so I've moved it this time into the spare room with no a/C. I was so upset to only get one hatchling. As for the humidity I am definitely finding it hard to control. The incubator came with extensive instructions for settings but not much on controlling humidity. I am to just add water to the bottom of the tray.... But I do find that it's not consistent at times. This time it has been more consistent than last time although I've filled the tray every day with more water than is recommended.

I've googled so many different options come up as optimum for cotornix hatching. The first one I followed was 37.8 and 40 % humidity then 80% for last few days?

This time 38.3 and

Ok I'll try that next. Its hatch day and I swear I can hear some little tappings, but still nothing and to be honest I can't even see a pip in there. 😢😢😢😢
I would leave them until around day 20 if you don’t see any pips you can candle for internal pips so you know when you might be able to help.

Ok cool. I watched a video on candling and unfortunately I couldn't seem to get that same thing the guy got on the video. Also, I have another question.... That air pocket that they are supposed to turn into, is that at the wide base of the egg?

Ok cool. I watched a video on candling and unfortunately I couldn't seem to get that same thing the guy got on the video. Also, I have another question.... That air pocket that they are supposed to turn into, is that at the wide base of the egg?
Yes at the wide part and that’s where you’re going to want to candle at since it’s going to let light penetrate the shell there.

Ok cool. I found a good webpage called troubleshooting the hatch. We are going to do an inspection of what's in the shells on the 8th if nothing has happened hatch wise.

Back
Top Bottom