Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

I think quail is my favorite poultry meat.
Love it.
My kids love it too.
Wish you got more meat off of them though. I allow 1 per person, but honestly I think my family could each eat like 3 if I let them, it's their favorite!

I think quail is my favorite poultry meat.
Love it.
My kids love it too.
Wish you got more meat off of them though. I allow 1 per person, but honestly I think my family could each eat like 3 if I let them, it's their favorite!

My DH even loves it, and he is normally a "white meat" guy.
I am getting up around 13 oz birds now usually, but keep running into problems getting my gamebird startina. Used to be no biggie, lately nobody seems to be able to get it for me
barnie.gif

My DH even loves it, and he is normally a "white meat" guy.
I am getting up around 13 oz birds now usually, but keep running into problems getting my gamebird startina. Used to be no biggie, lately nobody seems to be able to get it for me
barnie.gif

I couldn't find any gamebird feed, had to use flock raiser.
We processed ours pretty early--5 weeks I think.
We ended up having a freakishly cold winter here & an abundance of quail hatch. I had to have them in a bunch of cages all with heat lamps I ended up with a $400 power bill so they had to be processed besides the 5 girls I kept as layers.

Could the OP please sign in to their photobucket account so their pictures are visible? I very much want to see all those pictures! Thank you so much for the detailed post!

You can do a foot soak too with epson salts or even just warm water. Put them on shavings for a while in a tote to give their feet a break. I have a coated wire breeder cage from GQF and don't see those problems anymore. It was worth the investment to me, and the eggs are clean, roll right out in the tray. I had an old rabbit cage I was using and saw the same thing.. Wire is hard on the feet. I plan to purchase another breeding cage soon, they are doing so much better since I put them in it. I grow my babies out in a 55 gallon aquarium, then on to a cage with heavy plastic netting (in the garage). I know many people use wire without problems, I just prefer what I am doing for my birds. Its a little more work changing the bedding, but at least they are happier.

Something I have been unable to find an answer for... after you set up your breeding groups, what is done with the excess mature roos? Can they be housed together without any hens? Do they all get culled at that time? Since they are going to be dinner, I would prefer keep them out of freezer camp until they are fully grown.

Back
Top Bottom