Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Would anyone like to post pics of your quail on my quail show. If you want to search up quail show in the online shows forum. You can just jump right in if wanted

We get blue eggs on occasion, but not regularly. This one was laid this past fall. It was really late in the season, and I popped it in the incubator in the hopes of getting more of the blue egg line, but unfortunately it did not hatch.

Got to spend a minute on the phone with Robby from JMF the other day and we briefly discussed these eggs. The explanation for the odd coloring is pretty un-fantastic though. Apparently eggs colored this sort of blue or even purple, or unpainted eggs are the result of a stress incident the bird suffered.

Basically that egg was in process and ready to be laid and for some reason, fear, stress or otherwise, she held the egg in and didn't lay it even though it was ready. This apparently tricks the ovaduct into thinking it's a new egg and it begins to recoat the egg. The color changes are a result of this second coloring of the eggs. This is actually the same thing that causes the egg within an egg to be laid as well.

So there you have it from the man who would know.

Got to spend a minute on the phone with Robby from JMF the other day and we briefly discussed these eggs. The explanation for the odd coloring is pretty un-fantastic though. Apparently eggs colored this sort of blue or even purple, or unpainted eggs are the result of a stress incident the bird suffered.

Basically that egg was in process and ready to be laid and for some reason, fear, stress or otherwise, she held the egg in and didn't lay it even though it was ready. This apparently tricks the ovaduct into thinking it's a new egg and it begins to recoat the egg. The color changes are a result of this second coloring of the eggs. This is actually the same thing that causes the egg within an egg to be laid as well.

So there you have it from the man who would know.
I spoke with him Friday...Blew my mind with all the info he has in his head. That's neat/weird thought...I have thought blue eggs were cool for awhile now.

Robby is a quail wizard. He personally has done a whole lot for coturnix in the form we know them, and is always doing more, pretty much for the love of the game. On his own, he is responsible for bringing the first silver coturnix to the US. Availability of the strain will be limited at first (and they wont be available for purchase for a couple months yet) but at least they're finally here.

Back
Top Bottom