Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Just a question..... couldn't it but no doubt it is somewhere.
what age do you change their pellets from crumble to the next sort?

I take the turkey starter I use and grind it in a old blender till it is kinda like a course powder then add about a 1/2 a hand full of the full sized stuff and mix it up. Put it out. I find 304 day old quail are eaten all of it no matter the size.

Ive had my 6 Pharaoh Quail for 2 weeks. Still no eggs I googled how to sex them when I got them 4 hens 2 roos. The hens was in bad shape when I got them (Hardly any feathers on back from over breeding) Any now all are so happy to see us. Every time I put my hand in there they jump on me and make happy noises. So when do you think the will start laying?

I take the turkey starter I use and grind it in a old blender till it is kinda like a course powder then add about a 1/2 a hand full of the full sized stuff and mix it up. Put it out. I find 304 day old quail are eaten all of it no matter the size.

Thanks, mine are 4 weeks, would I do this yet or not?

Hi kasey08
I still have a light out on my quail pen. It's on a timer and even though the days are longer, mine won't lay unless they get 14 hours of light min.
Are yours on any type of light? Sounds like they have good temperaments, calm and friendly.

Do any with experience with Scofield blue Coturnix know if they overly aggressive? I was told by some guy on BYC in a private messaging conversation to watch out for mixing the Scofield with Wild and Golderns that the blue will bully and even tear the skin off the wild and goldens.

I have my first group of Scofield from camp julsby(sp) in Crestline. I think they are very friendly, docile and sweet. I had a batch of texas a&ms once that were a nightmare. Fighting constantly, and even in the brooder pecking each other bloody. If one started bleeding they were relentless. It was the only batch like that I've ever had, and was probably a fluke. It's put me off of them completely though. I have wild and blue in my scofield batch and so far so good. I just wanted to share that as far as my own experience goes,they are not overly aggressive.

That's not a coop, that's quail heaven! Gorgeous job! I'm still trying to get my design off the ground so I'm curious how you came up with it. And hints would be fantastic!

I have my first group of Scofield from camp julsby(sp) in Crestline. I think they are very friendly, docile and sweet. I had a batch of texas a&ms once that were a nightmare. Fighting constantly, and even in the brooder pecking each other bloody. If one started bleeding they were relentless. It was the only batch like that I've ever had, and was probably a fluke. It's put me off of them completely though. I have wild and blue in my scofield batch and so far so good. I just wanted to share that as far as my own experience goes,they are not overly aggressive.
Thank you for easing my mind. I really want some blue quail as I find them so different looking and I love the grey colors. Back story on this guy, "mesomeguy" to be specific. He contacted me out of the blue through BYC private messaging wanting me to purchase some of his quail. He wanted way too much for my pocket book when I offered to purchase some of his females. Over the course of our messaging I told him I was not a breeder, just a a quail enthusiast with a small flock but mostly males. I think he got mad at having wasted his time on me and so told me how I had better get some females for my males or when I put any P&L game birds (Schofield as I know them) in the common pen the blues would tear up the wild and goldens. I plan to get some more females but I wasnt going to pay hundreds of dollars for them. I have a live poultry warehouse near me where I can get female wilds and goldens a whole lot less expensive. I think that ticked him off to that I wasnt willing to purchase from him.

Hi kasey08
I still have a light out on my quail pen. It's on a timer and even though the days are longer, mine won't lay unless they get 14 hours of light min.
Are yours on any type of light? Sounds like they have good temperaments, calm and friendly.

Mine do not have a light. They are in a wire cage on the outside of our shed. So they get plenty of sun light.

Back
Top Bottom