Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Hi there! Just wondering .. We are getting quail eggs to incubate in. A few days for the first time...we have heard that you should not eat quail eggs from your hens if you have a roo in the pen..is this true?

Hi how are you?
Maybe the person you heard this from was paranoid , i keep my male with my females and i still eat the eggs , deviled quail eggs are extremely good
Same here. We keep our males with our females too. And we love the taste of fresh quail eggs. They make the best egg salad ever, and deviled eggs... oh my yes!!

Good Morning,

I was just told not to keep the roos and the girls together by a coworker....she said that if I do I will be fishing little beaks out everytime I crack an egg.....gave me nightmares I can tell you! I'm thinking of building a second coop for my girls just to avoid it but another friend who used to raise quail said she never had anything horrible turn up.....I'm new new new to this so I don't know what to believe.....can our experienced people chime in on this? Thanks!

I have 14 females with 4 males I keep them together I have not had any beaks or any problem with the taste consistency or value of my eggs they are wonderful we love the hard boiled in a salad I have people begging for them I can't wait until my grand daughter is ready to enjoy them I believe we will start her on quail eggs and then move to my chicken and duck eggs secondly

It is rare that a quail goes broody so unless your environment has consistently high temps enough to develop eggs that have been sitting in the pen for at least two weeks I would not worry about it. The greatest challenge in more natural environments is FINDING the eggs. I have a few "nesting" spots where I can generally find their eggs so I look there first but I can find eggs laid anywhere in their enclosure.

Good Morning,

I was just told not to keep the roos and the girls together by a coworker....she said that if I do I will be fishing little beaks out everytime I crack an egg.....gave me nightmares I can tell you! I'm thinking of building a second coop for my girls just to avoid it but another friend who used to raise quail said she never had anything horrible turn up.....I'm new new new to this so I don't know what to believe.....can our experienced people chime in on this? Thanks!

Your co-worker is wrong. I have 1 roo to 5 hens in two separate groups. get 10 eggs a day never had a problem. No little beaks LOL

If the eggs are fertile, but after 20 days you pull a couple and check em there was no development. Check the other 18 same no development what would cause that? Not saying they were fertile but I have hatched over 50 with the same hens/roo combo. Just set 30 but before I did checked several and all had a white spot. Temps were 99.5 humidity stayed in the upper 50's to upper 60's with a couple of readings low 70's let me know what you think.

Good Morning,

Oh my, no. I have around 30 or so quail and I have never seen that, have kept them almost 4 years now I think.

If the eggs are fertile, but after 20 days you pull a couple and check em there was no development. Check the other 18 same no development what would cause that? Not saying they were fertile but I have hatched over 50 with the same hens/roo combo. Just set 30 but before I did checked several and all had a white spot. Temps were 99.5 humidity stayed in the upper 50's to upper 60's with a couple of readings low 70's let me know what you think.
that tells me there is a problem with the cock, or the incubator. Do you just have one boy?

Good Morning,

I was just told not to keep the roos and the girls together by a coworker....she said that if I do I will be fishing little beaks out everytime I crack an egg.....gave me nightmares I can tell you!  I'm thinking of building a second coop for my girls just to avoid it but another friend who used to raise quail said she never had anything  horrible turn up.....I'm new new new to this so I don't know what to believe.....can our experienced people chime in on this?  Thanks!

Your co-worker is wrong. I have 1 roo to 5 hens in two separate groups. get 10 eggs a day never had a problem. No little beaks LOL
yes, she is very wrong. Beaks in eggs-no way. Relax and enjoy your quail and their eggs. I love, love, love my little quail. I keep 1 male to about 6 females, but my white quail are mixed gender as I have not separated them at all.W
[/IMG]When we want more, we incubate the eggs.Here's pix of my white quail & a pic of one of 2 of my brown quail pens.We keep 3 pens going.I put a white male with my browns,so it's easier to know, by sight, which one is the male.That means their babies will be a mix, and we're okay with that as they are for eggs and meat for us.

Back
Top Bottom