Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Thanks for all the info. I've been lurking on here for a while. I'm on day 7 of a 49 egg incubation. Crossing my fingers. I tried button quail as an experiment to see how hard it would be to incubate quail, and good thing. My wife and girls think the buttons are so cute they've already named them. Sigh.. guess I am going to put up an indoor birdcage for them.

As for the coturnix I've got in the 'bator, I've told the wife and kids that the only name those fellows will have is either food, or trade
smile.png
I'm already trading chicken eggs for raw milk (ooops dont tell the FDA) and know a few people locally who'd love to get into this.

Quote:
coturnix quail is a great way to start with birds... They are small and super easy to care for... They don't require big coops with runs just a small hutch food and water! Plus they mature quick So you get lots of eggs too! My kids LOVE the eggs (me too) Plus guests go nuts over tiny deviled eggs! LOL

Man I would love to find someone to trade for raw milk...

Quote:
coturnix quail is a great way to start with birds... They are small and super easy to care for... They don't require big coops with runs just a small hutch food and water! Plus they mature quick So you get lots of eggs too! My kids LOVE the eggs (me too) Plus guests go nuts over tiny deviled eggs! LOL

smile.png
Her kids love the eggs I get from my americana's and arucana's (spelling?) and of course all the brown eggs my buffs give. I let my chickens free range (tangled with a wild dog the other day... scratch the dog....) but I am thinking the quail I am going to build a battery setup for the garage and maybe something for them during the warmer months here in michigan. I've gotten a lot of great idea's from this site but was thinking of trying something different. I want to possibly build my coops out of PVC wrapped with wire. This way with help I can take one out of the rack, place it on the ground and almost make a quail tractor.. what do you guys think?

Quote:

smile.png
Her kids love the eggs I get from my americana's and arucana's (spelling?) and of course all the brown eggs my buffs give. I let my chickens free range (tangled with a wild dog the other day... scratch the dog....) but I am thinking the quail I am going to build a battery setup for the garage and maybe something for them during the warmer months here in michigan. I've gotten a lot of great idea's from this site but was thinking of trying something different. I want to possibly build my coops out of PVC wrapped with wire. This way with help I can take one out of the rack, place it on the ground and almost make a quail tractor.. what do you guys think?

Sounds great! However if you let them on the ground you may want to look into wormer for the quails because being on the ground exposes them to these wormies more and if you're eating the birds its just best to do that i've been told
smile.png

Hm.... Maybe I wont move them around too much then.... But after seeing how lightweight and strong the hoophouse I'm putting up is, thats why I was considering doing the cages out of this. I found some lightweight yet strong plastic poultry netting 3x25 for about 15$ and was thinking about wrapping 4 sides with this material and making the bottom and front's out of 1/2 hardware cloth
smile.png

California- "Licensed Game Bird Club

Issued to any person who owns or controls the hunting rights on a tract of land, raises and/or releases domestically propagated game birds, and allow the taking of these birds under conditions that do not conflict with the public interest. Domestically propagated game birds include only the following: Pheasants of the species Phasianus colchicus, including all ring-necked pheasant races, Indian chukar, domestically reared wild turkey, Hungarian partridge, bobwhite quail, Coturnix quail, and other species as designated by the Commission." http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/specialpermits/specialpermitsdescrip.html

Does this mean I need a permit to raise coturnix for my family, or is the permit for hunt clubs that will release the birds?​

I looked up some stuff in the Fish and Game website, and I think it's for hunt clubs. I couldn't find an individual permit anywhere on the site, so I'm pretty sure it's legal to raise them for your family without a permit.

That's what I'm doing anyways!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom