Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Quote:
lau.gif
!!!

but omg i wanna live there!!! I'd love to hear those elkies!!!!

lol the bugling they do is sort of funny. The first time my foster kids heard that... well they are city folk... they thought somebody was skinning a cat or something. They helped me chase down my big dog one day when he broke his old chain....... we had to follow in the car.... he ran right up his driveway and right up to the pen where he has the elk at (like 16' chain link i think) and stopped dead cuz he couldn't figure out how he was going to eat them.... needless to say he has a stronger chain now. One hoof...... he'd be toast!

I'd love to see an elk. My parents drove like 5 or 6 hours to PA to see the elk on my second cousin's property last year. Got some gorgeous pics though!

BUT back to quail...yes, they are stinky if you don't keep up with them. I'm very glad to have my house AND my sleep back! My dad is busy as we type building me more hutches. Gotta love that.

Edited for apostrophe alert!!!

Last edited:
*Deep sigh*

Finished at last and it only took 3 days
gig.gif

I am soooooo converted to CQ, cant wait to start building some cages. I told the hubby that I want some quail and he said "NO!!!!!!!"

Hmmmmmm, now the scheming starts
gig.gif

Nah, not really, now I have to do a cost sheet and prove to him that they will save money, not cost it.

Can you say "Figures can lie and liars can figure?"
wink.png

Thanks so much for bringing me over to the dark side
lau.gif

Quote:
you are more than welcome! Makes my day! I had no idea how many would hit the ground running right after reading my post Idid here but woah im glad for it because the more the merrier! I would love to see these birds as well known as some chicken breeds
big_smile.png

A lady I am thinking of buying some birds off of gave me the following links for information on quail when I told her how little I know about them.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/easterly101.html

and

http://www.essortment.com/all/coturnixquail_rksp.htm

I think reading information and stories from people who have them is more interesting though, and certainly MUCH funnier
wink.png

One question though, one article said they are all white meat and the other one said they are all dark meat.

Which one is right???

Last edited:
I only have the jumbos and they are all dark meat. I think it depends on the type of quail. You should get some - they are wonderful!!! And the amount of eggs they lay are amazing.

Another convert??
wee.gif

they say that the A & M and English whites are white meat birds, however I wouldn't know. I've never butchered my A & Ms because they are my tiny breeding flock.
smile.png
One breeder who has like every color you can imagine said she ate A & Ms and they did not taste any different to her than the dark meat coturnix. So there may be some truth to the all dark meat theroy. I can't say for sure either way myself.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom