Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Quote:
YES convert! repent! something! LOL!
lau.gif

ab.jpg

Hi Monarc23, I'm in the process of working on my quail hutch and would really appreciate it if you could help me figure out what's the best hardware cloth to use for the bottom. I bought some 1/4" hardware cloth, but due to my limited experience with quails, I can't quite tell if that's too small. I want to get something that would allow the droppings to fall through, but small enough so their feet are comfortable. The hardware cloth from the pic above seems to work real well, please let me know what size you used. Thanks!

Quote:
I would say judging by the Chicken wire on the ouside of the pen that would be 1/4" wire. It will work just fine! Monarc23 may not be on for a few days because she'll be gone fishing. So i hope this helps!

Like 1/4'' by 1/4''? if so DON'T USE THAT thats way to small (talking birds that are breeding age here) I use 1/2'' by 1'' and every once in awhile some of their poop doesn't fall thru.

P.S. At first it may seem that its uncomfortable for them (1/2'' by 1'') but after awhile they get used to it and learn to walk on it very well. And like i stated in a previous post I used to put plywood in the cages incase they preferred that over the wire but they stayed on the wire more then they did the plywoof some of them didn't even like the plywood in the cage.

Last edited:
Definitely use 1/2". I only use 1/4" on button quail and for coturnix up to 2 weeks old. After that, their poops are too big.

Edited to add: I forgot it's opening day for trout in PA - GOOD LUCK NIKI!!!!!

Last edited:
I must have had the biggest brain fart last night typing that. 1/4" is a little too small lol. All this getting up at 4-4:30 going hunting is getting to me! lol!

Thanks for the replies, everyone. From what I gathered, 1/2" is ideal for adult Coturnix quails, so 1/2" it is! Thanks again!

Would there be any danger of raccoons putting their hands in if you use 1/2 by 1 inch wire?

I dont know what lives in our back yard but it sure liked the spoiled shrimp I berried
roll.png

they are doing that through my 1x2
sad.png
I've lost too many. Traps start tonight.... muahahahahhahahaha anybody wanna coonskin cap?

Possibly... 1/2" x1/2" hardware is what I use for my coturnix, though I don't have to worry about coons. And nothing's going to keep a bear out of my hutch if they want in, so I do what I need to to keep the quail IN.
smile.png
1/4" just isn't quite big enough for their poopies to drop through.

Back
Top Bottom