Coturnix Quail Basics- Information and Pictures Galore

Quote:
I have something like 70 some coturnix outside (varying ages).... they go through a 50lb bag in a little more than 2 weeks.

Very VERY usefull info, Thanks heaps for that
ya.gif

well welcome! im glad to of inadvertantly helped LOL!
smile.png

Updating NY information, italics mine:

from http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/25010.html

Domestic
Game Bird Breeder License
Statutory Authority: ECL 11-0103, 11-1901 and 6 NYCRR Part 153 and Part 175
The Department may issue a Domestic Game Bird Breeder License to an owner or lessee of wholly enclosed lands or an entire island. This license permits the purchase, possession, and propagation of captive bred domestic game birds, providing the applicant has facilities for propagating on the licensed premises.

Class A - $50.00 Class A breeders may purchase, possess, propagate, transport, and sell domestic game birds dead or alive and their eggs.

Class B - $10.00 Class B breeders may purchase, possess, and propagate domestic game birds for their own use. Live birds, their eggs, and their carcasses may not be sold, exchanged, or given away.

Last edited:
Just got this reply from the Florida fish and game..............

Click here to visit the Ask FWC Web site.

Subject
Jumbo Coturnix Quail

Discussion Thread
Response (LE-LC) 05/15/2009 08:55 AM
Yes, a game farm license is required to raise coturnix quail. The cost of the license is $50 per year. An application and informational memo can be downloaded from our web site at
http://www.myfwc.com/License/LicPermit_CaptiveOtherPermits.htm#game. You will need to check with your local county and city ordinances for any restrictions relating to having the birds in a residential area.

Please contact the Division of Law Enforcement, Investigations Section for further questions: 850-488-6253.

Game birds are defined as wild turkey, quail, rails, snipe, woodcock, ducks, geese, brant, dove, coot, gallinules, and non-native species generally considered game such as pheasant, chukar partridge, and coturnix quail.

Caging requirements are found in 68A-6.004, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.). This rule states in part:

(r) Birds. Perching birds shall be provided with a perch of a diameter sufficient to prevent the meeting of the bird's claws, and of sufficient height to prevent floor contact. Perches and perching areas shall be sufficient to accommodate all birds in the enclosure simultaneously. Perches shall be constructed in a manner and of materials that provide for effective cleaning or replacement to insure the health of the birds. Enclosures shall be provided with shelter(s).

2. Waterfowl.
a. Small to Medium (e.g., green-winged teal, mallard and similar sizes ducks, geese)
(I) For up to four birds, a cage with 75 square feet of land area and 7.5 square feet of water area.
(II) For each additional adult bird, increase enclosure and pool size by 25 percent.
b. Large (e.g., geese, swans, and similar size)
(I) For up to four birds, an enclosure with 150 square feet of land and 15 square feet of water area.
(II) For each additional adult bird, increase enclosure and pool size by 25 percent.

4. Large ground-dwelling (e.g., Congo peafowl, Javan peafowl, curassows, wild turkeys, brush turkeys (moundbuilders), large grouse, capricali, and sage hen) (exhibit only)
a. For up to five birds, a cage having 144 square feet of floor, 6 feet high, with the perch elevated 4 feet above the floor.
b. For each additional bird, increase original floor area by 10 percent.

5. Lesser game birds (e.g., pheasants, wild guinea fowl, tragopans, snowcocks, partridge, grouse, chachalacas, guans) (exhibit only)
a. For up to five birds, a cage having 100 square feet of floor, 6 feet high, with the perch elevated 30 inches.
b. For each additional bird, increase original floor area 10 percent.

6. Quail (e.g., bob-white quail, scaled quail, button quail, and other species) (exhibit only)
a. For a pair, a cage 2 feet by 2 feet, 1 foot high.
b. For each additional animal, increase original floor area by 10 percent.

You can review the standard caging requirements in their entirety by searching for the above listed rule number at www.flrules.org.
....................................................................................................................

My only question now is, it says I can only sell to licence holders so what do I do, ask anyone who buys eggs or chicks from me if they have one or what?

I just want to say that I have been thinking about raising and breeder quail and this post has been so helpful with all the "details". So in return I wanted to pass along the info regarding permits in Indiana about possessing quail. Here is the link: http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/GameBreederLicenseRegulations.pdf

It
appears as if the only species of quail that needs a permit is the bobwhite. At least thats the way I took it. Thanks again for a great quail page.

Great thread! I'm wondering, if I have a wire cage that is 12-16" tall, do I need a netting or something else to prevent them from injuring themselves when they jump? If so, what do I use?

Last edited:
My "main pen" is a rabbit hutch, it's mostly wrapped up in chicken wire, it's about 24" tall...and no one bonks unless something gets UNDER the pen and scares them up otherwise if they get scared they just run inside the bunnie hidey-hole
smile.png
My other pens are shorter and only the youngsters seem to bonk in that... and I padded the top with non-slip stuff for kitchen cabinets and it seems to work well
smile.png

Are you meaning that your cage has no top? OR it does have a top and you're just wanting to deter them from injuring themselves? If it's the latter, I say you'll be fine as long as they aren't being spooked a lot
smile.png
Tibetans, tuxedos, and even sometimes my A & Ms are the skiddish varieties I have. My browns and goldens are the "calmest" well now and my reds too (which is odd since they are a tibetan type).
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom