Coturnix quail consistently laying eggs that have circular cracks, indented with a darker colored area.

PipAddict

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2022
A younger Coturnix quail is laying circular cracked, indented eggs with darker area. Not sure who is doing it but it appeared after newer batch was introduced to the covey and we get one often, if not every day. Thought it might have to do with it being the first eggs. My daughter told me she has been throwing them out when she gathers eggs and I've seen a few more so I don't think it has stopped. It has been going on for a month or so with the same abnormality. Any ideas? Nobody else is doing it.

Attachments

• 20230430_183203.jpg
    20230430_183203.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 26
They should be getting enough. Only one out of 20ish quail I have laying are doing it. Doesn't seem more fragile than others. The eggs each day look the same, except the colors, like the first ones had no spots but a band of the darker brown and even darker in the cracks. -if that makes sense.

They should be getting enough. Only one out of 20ish quail I have laying are doing it. Doesn't seem more fragile than others. The eggs each day look the same, except the colors, like the first ones had no spots but a band of the darker brown and even darker in the cracks. -if that makes sense.
In that case, I would suspect that she just has something different going on with her egg production. I wouldn't breed her and I'd keep an eye on her in case she's more likely to become egg bound.

A younger Coturnix quail is laying circular cracked, indented eggs with darker area. Not sure who is doing it but it appeared after newer batch was introduced to the covey and we get one often, if not every day. Thought it might have to do with it being the first eggs. My daughter told me she has been throwing them out when she gathers eggs and I've seen a few more so I don't think it has stopped. It has been going on for a month or so with the same abnormality. Any ideas? Nobody else is doing it.
Mine is doing the same thing but only one out of many. She is in with a mate, I believe I will take the one gentleman's advice and remove the roo. Something is going on with her that's not normal, she has been chasing the male around and pecking him as well. Maybe some over breeding issues. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom