Coturnix Quail keep laying soft egg.

I have 3 hens, and have not figured out who is laying these eggs. About once every 2 weeks I find an egg without the spots, and very soft, with just a slight shell covering. The egg inside seems to be complete. The shells look bluish or bluish with gray. These eggs have the same thick membrane I find on my other quail eggs.

Otherwise, I get 2 more regular quail eggs most days of the week. My quail are just a few weeks into laying. Is this something with just starting out that will go away on its own, or is it something that I need to worry about?

I have had it happen twice now. I have them on

Homestead Harvest Non-GMO Turkey & Game Bird Starter 28%

and add to each feeding some hard boiled egg and/or some mealworms/beetles and/or some red wrigglers from my worm bin (never been outdoors). I also give them a mix of greens with each meal. But maybe I have some proportions off?

They have free access to both chick sized grit and parakeet sized oystershell, as well as fresh water. About once a week, I also give them a spoon of the chicken feed as a fermented mash, just because they don't seem to like their own feed as a fermented mash. I don't want it to be such a large amount that it keeps them from eating their game bird feed, but I really like what fermented mash does for my chickens.

They are in a 40 inch X 35 inch X 20 - 30 inch (slanting roof) hutch with a coated wire mesh floor.

I am having the same problem with my 4 hens. They are in separate pens because of aggressive behavior by all of them. 1 hen started laying eggs with a lot of Bloom, then almost white to gray eggs. Then some of the eggs were very soft. She even layed 2 eggs a day about 3-4 times this year. Last week it was a yolk and membrane with no shell at all! Then last week a second hen started laying the soft off colored eggs, and twice, ones that was completely solid brown. today a 3rd hen layed 2 very soft eggs, one solid gray and the other solid dark brown. I give them crush oyster shells, but they don't like it, and crushed chicken eggs and mealy worms and black soldier bugs as treats. Could it be the chicken eggs (our own chickens, usually from boiled eggs)? Other than that they seem fine.

Attachments

• WIN_20230330_21_00_35_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230330_21_00_35_Pro.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 1
  • WIN_20230330_21_02_23_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20230330_21_02_23_Pro.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom