Coturnix quail not laying. Why?

I would remove a male or two to get closer to a 1:5 ratio. Other than that, especially with winter hatches, sometimes it can take up to 12 weeks before they lay.

They are in two breeding sets of 4 to one rooster in nice cages. The other males are in two separate small cages, but all same room, all 12. One roo isis horribly mean and one is just a freak no offense to him they shall be culled soon for dinner. But maybe it should be today's dinner?

It took my quail a while to start laying - we bought full grown adults but we had them inside for a while before we made their enclosure, then we got more quail, then we had quail drama/trauma, then I couldn't figure out why they hadn't started laying by 3 months (12 weeks!)...

They lay now, constantly. Tbh I wish they'd take a break. I would make sure they're getting around 14-16 hours of bright light (Christmas lights may or may not cut it) and give them about 2 weeks from your last big adjustment to see if they'll lay. You might even be fiddling around too often with their enclosure for them to get used to their environment - some quail seem more sensitive.
I can wait three more weeks! I do only go in their about twice a day. To turn on and off lights. There is also a big shop light on top. It's pretty bright in there.

I got eggs today! Needed to be patient and poof eggs. Thanks everyone! I'm celebrating 🥳 🎉

Attachments

• IMG_20240425_204009497_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240425_204009497_HDR.jpg
    712 KB · Views: 2
Now that they are laying they need extra calcium right? I know I can give shells and oyster but would rather just have a complete feed in case I'm busy. But, I can't seem to find anything for layers with enough protein. Could I mix my own? Like half layer that is 20 % protein, half high protein starter feed 30% to make a 25% protein feed with more calcium than the starter? Then still feed eggshells and oyster on side?

You could add the oyster or egg shell to their feed, but if you just offer it on the side they'll eat as much as they need.
More questions and I like your idea! I can't thank you enough for all your help all the time 💟 Most oyster shell I'm seeing is big pieces. Can a coffee grinder make it smaller? Or is the average size ok? And can it be chicken eggs too or only quail. Just curious if I need to keep egg types separate cause I give them back to the chickens too.

More questions and I like your idea! I can't thank you enough for all your help all the time 💟 Most oyster shell I'm seeing is big pieces. Can a coffee grinder make it smaller? Or is the average size ok? And can it be chicken eggs too or only quail. Just curious if I need to keep egg types separate cause I give them back to the chickens too.
No need to separate shells. Some OC can be a little large for quail, I buy a large bag and use the smaller crumbles/powder to give to quail and larger pieces go to my larger birds. I just made a colander used to screen OC with appropriate size holes to screen the fines out of large bag.

I use a stainless steel mortar. The oyster shell I buy is pretty thin and soft, so it crushes into smaller pieces easily. I don't see any reason to separate your egg and oyster shells. The birds will pick out what they like.

I use a stainless steel mortar. The oyster shell I buy is pretty thin and soft, so it crushes into smaller pieces easily. I don't see any reason to separate your egg and oyster shells. The birds will pick out what they like.
I meant keeping chicken egg shells and quail eggs separate. Not sure if quail would care about it being chicken shells.

Back
Top Bottom