Could I have ALL rooster? pics posted finally and pic heavy

HeatherLynn

Crowing
12 Years
May 11, 2009
Kentucky, Cecilia
Ok Started out with 6 Br's 6 Easter Eggers and 8 chicks that were sold as golden comets but hare RIR/Buff Orp mix. Ok some are in the freezer already since they were such horribly loud crowers, bully's and illegal where I live. All were purchased as pullets. I know for sure all 6 br's were roosters but now the others have me worried.

I now I have 5 easter eggers at 28 weeks who have not laid. I also have 6 golden comets at 20 to 22 weeks who have not laid. The golden comets are a bit smallish so they may be slightly younger than I was told so I may be off a couple weeks on age. Not eggs though. Not one. I am going through feed like mad, they are stuck in a coop and large enclosed run since we are unable to fix a dog issue but they are given fresh veggies, veggie and fruit scraps, melons and whole fruit for treats, and a bit of yogurt now and then. Nada.

Ok so time to be honest with myself and find out if I might have the worst luck ever. Struggling with pics but should be up in a few.

Ok these are my eggers which I just think are the cutest things especially when their cheeks get all puffy BUT 28 weeks no eggs. Upside is no crowing either.

30964_july_mid_august_pics_105.jpg

30964_july_mid_august_pics_100.jpg

30964_july_mid_august_pics_109.jpg

30964_july_mid_august_pics_104.jpg

ok these are the "comets" who are 20 to 22 weeks old

30964_july_mid_august_pics_093.jpg

30964_july_mid_august_pics_092.jpg

30964_july_mid_august_pics_089.jpg

And I have to include my only remaining Br Rooster just because I think he is pretty and he would be left out. Challenging to take pics when he is awake though. He only plays and stays distracted with the mop for so long and then its back to being a little bully.

30964_july_mid_august_pics_098.jpg

Last edited:
Your golden comets... as long as they are reddish, they're girls, no worries. They will lay when they are ready! I find a good test is to try and pet them starting at the hackle feathers and petting towards the tail. If they squat, they're ready to breed, which means they will lay eggs shortly afterwards. Take a break from worrying for a little while! Kick up your feet and relax!

Could it possibly be the heat is affecting them? I have to go out twice a day to "water" them with the sprinkler just to keep them from panting.

This guy is pretty tame as long as the gals are napping in their house. He is just really defensive about them. He just became the head man a few weeks ago and I think he is still working on his security in that position. The last head man headed for the freezer but not before beating up on him a bit.

Last edited:
the heat may have something to do with it i believe

my pullets here are not laying like they did this spring either

it's taking me 2 days to get what i did during the spring in 1 day

been very hot and humid here...but finally have rain here all day today and suppose to be for next few days also

so maybe it will help

my golden comets started to lay at 22 weeks here..but i also didnt put a rooster in until first week in July

hopefully it helps

Back
Top Bottom