Could this be a rooster?

Bumbles

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2015
Oklahoma
So a few weeks back, our septic guy came over and he asked my husband “where’d you get the game bird?” My husband asked what he was talking about and the septic guy pointed to one of our chickens and asked where we got the fighting rooster from. Now, we purchased our chicks from a couple different hatcheries. We purchased Easter eggars, crème legbars, Americanas (which we later found out were just Easter eggars) and barred rocks. All hens except for 1 barred rock rooster. We just assumed this chicken was a hen like the rest but one of the Easter eggars since they can look like anything since they’re basically the mutts of the chicken world. But! This last week she started crowing. And I keep reading that hens can crow too… but now my husband is convinced she is actually a he. I’m not convinced either way. What do you think? Is this a he or a she? And could this be a mutt or is it actually a breed of fighters? For age reference, they were born in October.

90890C66-9776-452F-8A1E-1E8B4C5DBA7E.jpeg
614FD83F-5B26-4A0D-92CE-65698DE374AA.jpeg

😂 thank you to everyone. Y’all responded so quickly. Now my next question….. we have close to 40 hens…. That should be plenty for 2 roosters….. right? The two boys should be fine in the same coop….right? Hopefully…. 😆

😂 thank you to everyone. Y’all responded so quickly. Now my next question….. we have close to 40 hens…. That should be plenty for 2 roosters….. right? The two boys should be fine in the same coop….right? Hopefully…. 😆
40 hens is a great amount, as long as the roosters aren’t mean to each other everything should be fine. I had three roosters for three hens which worked for a while (though don’t do that of course!) my point is, i had to remove two due to, of course, over mating on the hens but the roosters were totally fine with eachother.

Maybe maybe not. Just depends on the two individuals. I would definitely try to keep them both. you just need a plan to get rid of one of them in case they start fighting and it get bad and they won’t quit.

Back
Top Bottom