Just found this guy?

You're such a good person for rescuing that rooster. Most people would have just left him where they found him.
That is definitely a rooster.
Any idea where he came from??
I posted in one of our local pages and people said there have been chickens free ranges in that area for years, but recently is the 1sr time we've seen them, and as cold as it got last night and the fact he doesn't seem to be mobile, he would've either frozen to death or been eaten by a predator. May go back out there this weekend and check on the others, though they all took off when my husband stopped to get "Duke". Yeah, hubby's already named him.

What we have on hand right now is 16% layer crumble scratch grains, 18% starter crumble, Grub worms.

Looks like a Barred Rock cockerel to me.
Spurs look relatively normal, not cut.

I'd feed him the Chick Starter which should be perfectly fine for him, offer it as a wet mash if he's not eating very well.
I'd only introduce the feed, nothing else, while he may be used to free ranging and eating a variety of things, I would stick with just plain 'ol good chick starter, nothing more.
You want him eating on his own. Electrolytes or sugar water may entice him to drink.

Look him over for lice/mites. If possible get a fecal float to see if he has worms.

The bottom of the feet don't look too bad and are pretty normal as far as coloring goes since they've been cleaned up.

Comb may have a slight bit of frostbite, hard to know, could just be he's not feeling well, has been picked on...time will tell how that turns out.

I do see some crusty material around the eye. Take note if you see bubbles or watery eye, mucous from the nostrils, any coughing, sneezing, etc.
Definitely keep him away from your other birds for an observation period.

Looks like a Barred Rock cockerel to me.
Spurs look relatively normal, not cut.

I'd feed him the Chick Starter which should be perfectly fine for him, offer it as a wet mash if he's not eating very well.
I'd only introduce the feed, nothing else, while he may be used to free ranging and eating a variety of things, I would stick with just plain 'ol good chick starter, nothing more.
You want him eating on his own. Electrolytes or sugar water may entice him to drink.

Look him over for lice/mites. If possible get a fecal float to see if he has worms.

The bottom of the feet don't look too bad and are pretty normal as far as coloring goes since they've been cleaned up.

Comb may have a slight bit of frostbite, hard to know, could just be he's not feeling well, has been picked on...time will tell how that turns out.

I do see some crusty material around the eye. Take note if you see bubbles or watery eye, mucous from the nostrils, any coughing, sneezing, etc.
Definitely keep him away from your other birds for an observation period.
Thank you for your input. I have checked him all over and did not find any lice or mites. He definitely seems to be hungry as when I put something down, he dives in, but will only take a few bites and quits. We just got home a short while ago prior to reading your message, decided to get some food in him. We used the Kaytees baby bird formula that we used with Ethel. The only thing I put in it was Nutri-drench. At first I felt like I was having trouble getting the tube in, like something was blocking it , but we adjusted his position and it went down smoothly. My plan is to continue the tube feeding as long as he isn't eating on his own. One thing I did notice when I was putting the tube in, is what looks like maybe an ulcer around the hole in the back of his mouth (the hole I avoid with the feeding tube). I tried to get a picture but wasn't able to get onee clear enough to see. If you disagree with us tube feeding him, let me know please. And as far as his eyes, he did have a few little bits of crust I removed, as well as some of the same around his ears. We haven't noticed any sneezing or discharge. He hasn't talked at all since we picked him up. He does make a little grumbling noise occasionally but no chicken talk so far.

At first I felt like I was having trouble getting the tube in, like something was blocking it , but we adjusted his position and it went down smoothly. My plan is to continue the tube feeding as long as he isn't eating on his own. One thing I did notice when I was putting the tube in, is what looks like maybe an ulcer around the hole in the back of his mouth (the hole I avoid with the feeding tube). I tried to get a picture but wasn't able to get onee clear enough to see. If you disagree with us tube feeding him, let me know please. And as far as his eyes, he did have a few little bits of crust I removed, as well as some of the same around his ears.
He definitely seems to be hungry as when I put something down, he dives in, but will only take a few bites and quits.
When you can, try to get photos of the inside of his beak.

Crusts around the ears - any crusty material IN the ears? Look inside the ears.

Acting like he's hungry, diving right into food, then quitting after a few bites along with an ulcer(?) doesn't sound very good. I wonder if he's got respiratory infection or canker.

Tubing him is o.k. if he's unable to eat on his own, but it's just a temporary measure to get fluids and nutrition into a sick bird. Do try to encourage him to eat/drink on his own in between tubing.

When you can, try to get photos of the inside of his beak.

Crusts around the ears - any crusty material IN the ears? Look inside the ears.

Acting like he's hungry, diving right into food, then quitting after a few bites along with an ulcer(?) doesn't sound very good. I wonder if he's got respiratory infection or canker.

Tubing him is o.k. if he's unable to eat on his own, but it's just a temporary measure to get fluids and nutrition into a sick bird. Do try to encourage him to eat/drink on his own in between tubing.

Attachments

• PXL_20231224_194538609.jpg
    PXL_20231224_194538609.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20231224_194553378.jpg
    PXL_20231224_194553378.jpg
    380.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20231224_194701391.jpg
    PXL_20231224_194701391.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20231224_194708276.jpg
    PXL_20231224_194708276.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20231224_194753618.jpg
    PXL_20231224_194753618.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 11
  • PXL_20231224_194759784.jpg
    PXL_20231224_194759784.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 11
There are about 5 of them where we found him. The others were pecking him and he was just lying there taking it. They are all either abandoned or belong to someone who doesn't tend to them. They definitely live outside (not in a coop) and we have already had several nights that got below freezing, but he'll be warm tonight. My husband put him in some warm water in the tub and washed his feet. They look much better now. He doesn't want to perch, just wants to sit, but we'll see how he does over the next few days with some personal care.
1 other thing I noticed is that he doesn't really have a "spur". Is it common for people to cut them off like they do a puppies dew claws?
Thank you for rescuing him! Unfortunately, if he was abandoned, the rest of his flock will likely end up in the same predicament as him over time (or get eaten by predators).

Back
Top Bottom