Coyotes!

A .223 works wonders!!!!
lol.png

Quote:
Im a little fuzzy on what your facts are attempting to illustrate. I'm no Camp Perry marksman, but not a dope either. Can you clarify?

He is casting doubt on Miltonchix's story. I wouldn't know one way or the other.
idunno.gif
Personally, I figure folks are allowed a shaggy dog story every now and then!
wink.png

As for the argument about invading the predators' territory, sometimes it gets more complicated than that. I do NOT favor lethal methods of predator control, but it is a fact that coyotes have greatly increased both their numbers and range in recent years. It is not just that we are moving into their territory, but also that they are moving into ours.

As for the argument about invading the predators' territory, sometimes it gets more complicated than that. I do NOT favor lethal methods of predator control, but it is a fact that coyotes have greatly increased both their numbers and range in recent years. It is not just that we are moving into their territory, but also that they are moving into ours.

On top of this, they are not eco-idealists nor do they share any "live and let live" notions, as we do. They are, pure and simple, wary survivors. In their world, it's either them or you (and your livestock/poultry).
They thrive at your expense or you prevent them from doing so, by whatever means is effective...
Pretty easy to know which side of that issue THEY will land. I'll quote Mr. Plamondon again and then leave it:

"Practically all predators eat wildlife rather than livestock, and this means that both predators and livestock get to have a normal lifespan. But if you don't kill any predators, their caution fades.
After a couple of generations, the mothers stop teaching farm-avoidance to their young, and then the clueless young predators kill a lot of livestock before inevitably being killed themselves. Which is a bad deal all around."

Last edited by a moderator:
Coyotes are relatively new around here, I've been hunting here for 25, with hounds, and never saw the first coyote until 3 years ago. They are not native to VA, but have been moving east and I'm sure have reached the coast by now. The argument about suburbia encroaching on their territory doesn't hold here.

Several counties have bounties on them, and the game department says you can hunt/shoot them year round with no limits. Luckily I haven't seen any on my place yet, but just this week a freind saw one less than a mile from here.

I'll be using a .204 ruger if the show up here.

Last edited:
I'll be using my herd of dobermans, and an electric fence around my fully enclosed chicken yard (if needed), if they show up at my place. Why waste bullets when prevention will do the job?
smile.png

Last edited:
For the gunners, I mentioned the .243 upthread. The .223 and .204 Ruger are not bad choices, in and of themselves.

The .243 was included as something that most farm and country folks might want to consider for its versatility. Lets face it, the .223 and .204 Ruger are not widely versatile beyond varmint class animals.

Most people are not avid gunners and may want (or need) only a small battery of firearms. For them, versatility is a crucial factor. Something that can be readily re-loaded, is easy to shoot for "non-gun nuts" and is ubiquitous are also factors in its favor.

So what does the ideal farm battery look like? Something like this:

- 12 ga. shotgun, pump action, w. interchangeable barrels and chokes.
- .357 Magnum revolver, also shoots .38 Spl and .38 Long
- .22 LR rifle, bolt or auto loading. Not reloadable, but ammo is cheap.
- Intermediate caliber center fire rifle

Not many really, but spanning a LOT of usage. I personally consider the .243 WCF as on the low end of intermediate and prefer either a 7MM or .30 cal. But for the recoil shy and/or those who shoot infrequently, it is a good choice. It certainly would do for coyotes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elderoo, the facts on a .22 rimfire are they loose on average 25% of kinetic energy and allmost the same velocity in the first 100 yards, at 150 the bullet drop is close to 24'', with the bullets energy down around 50 to 60 ft. lbs.,,, the shot he was speaking of was 200 yards farther, and done with out a rear sight on the rifle.

Thats about the same as loading your shotgun with a shot barrel (no rear sight),, full of slugs and hitting a deer 1000' away. I would have though it possible untill the 5 for 5 hits with no sight.

I agree with you on the .243, they are great for women, kids, or anyone recoil shy.
One of my favorite "farm guns" is the SKS, they are cheap, rugged, most are decent shooters, allmost no recoil, in the same power range as a 30-30, and cheaper to shoot than allmost any centerfire.

Hey nautical bouy, I'm glad to see another highpower shooter here! Your post took the words right out of my mouth, I didn't want to call someone out but.... when I saw that post about 300 yards with a .22, without a rear sight and a ruger 1022, I had to say something. I will let it go now. I'm a service rifle shooter for many years now also a youth 3 position air rifle coach. Been to Perry several times. Last year made 114 in the Pres 100.

Quote:

Elderoo, the facts on a .22 rimfire are they loose on average 25% of kinetic energy and allmost the same velocity in the first 100 yards, at 150 the bullet drop is close to 24'', with the bullets energy down around 50 to 60 ft. lbs.,,, the shot he was speaking of was 200 yards farther, and done with out a rear sight on the rifle.

I figured that was where you were going. Not at all what you want for coyotes.

I agree with you on the .243, they are great for women, kids, or anyone recoil shy.
One of my favorite "farm guns" is the SKS, they are cheap, rugged, most are decent shooters, allmost no recoil, in the same power range as a 30-30, and cheaper to shoot than allmost any centerfire.

There is also some decent hunting ammo around for them. Add a recoil buffer to stop that "clang" of theirs and they are pretty good.
Another choice along the same lines is the Moisin Nagant. It is cheap to buy and offers a good bit more power than the SKS.
Luckily, reloadable ammo/brass for it is out there and so it can be made to do about anything you want.​

I agree with the .243 as a great all around rifle.

I'm a hunter and have the full spectrum in the safe, .204 is my varmint rifle (Kimber Provarmint) but wouldn't be my choice for an all around farm rifle.

I've also got a Foxpro electronic call and a Light-force scope mounted spotlight.

No nightvision YET.

Back
Top Bottom