Cracked egg

TicketyBoo

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 14, 2009
Okay so I had a case of butter fingers this morning while turning my very very very important call duck eggs.
One slipped and cracked.

Is there ANYTHING I can try to do to fix it? super glue? saran wrap? anything at all? I'm really desperate here because these are my absolute last hope for eggs from my ducks (had a raccoon incident just after these eggs were laid)...

As long as it's not oozing you can seal the crack with candle wax or a melted crayon. I have an egg in my bator right now that is cracked and I didn't think it would even develop so I didn't seal it. Of course it is growing well but the air cell is much bigger than it should be. The crack is allowing to much moisture to escape.

Thank you! Just did a search and came up with that too, I love the advice available here - would never have thought of that!

Another thing that I have used successfully is Elmer's Glue. It sticks better and helps seal out the bacteria. You may want to put more than one coat on the cracked area, only be careful that you don't put the freshly glued egg into an egg turner until it dries so that it does not glue itself to the turner. I did that once and accidentally glued the egg to the turner cup and then later killed the chick accidentally on week two when I pulled the egg loose and really brokee the shell. That was sad.

The Elmer's Glue works good as long as you don't glue it to anything.

Back
Top Bottom